[NEWBIE] Viewing ASP files (.ASP extension)

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Cassandra Flowers, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. Dear group,

    I have never done any ASP coding before (Just HTML and Javascript as far as
    web pages go - and got on fine)

    I would like to start writing some ASP scripts, but I am having difficulties
    viewing '*.asp' files on my PC, when I open them only the HTML aspects of
    the code displays or I just get a blank browser window.. I am running XP, is
    there something special that I need to install?

    Please forgive me for asking what probably sounds like a stupid question,
    but as you have probably gathered I haven't got a clue!!! :eek:)

    Thanks,
    Cassandra

    I am trying to create a simple "Tell A Friend" page. The code I have is as
    follows:

    (File: Functions.asp)
    <%
    function mail(mMessage, mFrom, mTo, mSubject)
    Dim objMail
    Set objMail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    objMail.From = mFrom
    objMail.Subject = mSubject
    objMail.To = mTo
    objMail.Body = mMessage
    objMail.Send
    set objMail = nothing
    end function

    function tellFriend(pageName)
    if Request.QueryString("mailsent") = "true" Then
    Response.Write "<P><strong>Your recommendation has been
    sent.</strong></P>"
    end if
    Response.Write "<P>To tell a friend about this page, complete your
    friend's name and
    email address and write your name and email address below.<P>" &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "form method = ""post"" action =
    ""tellafriend_script.asp""> &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "<p>Your name:<br />" &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "<input type=""text"" name=""senderName"" id=""senderName""
    /></P>" &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "<P>Your Email Address:<br />" &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "<input type=""text"" name=""senderEmail""
    id=""senderEmail"" /></P>" &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "<p>Your friend's name:<br />" &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "<input type=""text"" name=""friendName"" id=""friendName""
    /></P>" &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "<P>Your Friend's Email Address:<br />" &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "<input type=""text"" name=""friendEmail""
    id=""friendEmail"" /></P>" &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "<input type =""hidden"" name=""pageName"" value=""" &
    pageName & """ />" &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "<input type =""submit"" value=""send!"" class=""submit"">
    </P>" &vbCrLf
    Response.Write "</form>" &vbCrLf
    end function

    %>
    (File: tellafriend_script.asp)

    <%@LANGUAGE = "vbscript"%>
    <%Option Explicit%>
    <!-#includefile=function.asp"->
    <%
    Dim senderName, senderEmail, friendName, friendEmail, pageName
    Dim mailSubject, mailMessage, sendmail

    senderName = Trim(Request.Form("senderName"))
    senderEmail = Trim(Request.Form("senderEmail"))
    friendName = Trim(Request.Form("friendName"))
    friendEmail = Trim(Request.Form("friendEmail"))
    pageName = Trim(Request.Form("pageName"))

    mailSubject = senderName & " has recommended this web page to you"

    mailMessage = "Dear " & friendName & "," &vbCrLf &vbCrLf
    mailMessage = mailMessage & "your friend " & senderName & " has recommended
    that you visit the following
    page." &vbCrLf &vbCrLf
    mailMessage = mailMessage & "http://www.yourdomain.com/" & pageName &vbCrLf
    &vbCrLf
    mailMessage = mailMessage & "We have not stored your details."

    sendmail = mail(mailMessage, senderEmail, friendEmail, mailSubject)

    Response.Redirect(pageName & "?mailsent=true")

    %>

    (File: Tellafriend.html)

    <%@LANGUAGE = "vbscript"%>
    <%Option Explicit%>
    <!-#includefile=function.asp"->
    <%Dim display%>

    <head>
    <title>Tell a friend</title>
    </head>

    <% display = tellFriend("tellafriend.asp")%>

    Cassandra Flowers, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Cassandra Flowers

    Rob Guest

    To View ASP files, you need to be running windows 95 or 98 and have PWS
    (Personal Web Server ) installed.

    Alternatively you may also use Windows XP (Pro only) with IIS installed.

    Note, windows home edition does not ship with IIS, so it must be the pro
    edition.

    On all versions of windows, IIS / PWS can be installed from the add / remove
    windows components section of add remove programs.

    Alternatively insert your windows CD and select the add remove windows
    components option.

    Once IIS / PWS is installed, you must place all you asp files in
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot folder.

    You can then view your asp files by browsing to
    http://localhost/filename.asp

    Hope this helps!
    --
    Rob Collyer

    Rob, Jul 18, 2004

  3. Cassandra Flowers

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    ASP has to be processed by a web server. If you have XP Pro, you can
    install IIS (See the IIS group for help on it). XP Home has no web
    server. You could put your code on a hosted web server as well.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jul 18, 2004