newbie: what is a blog

Jeff

Hey

When it comes to blogging I'm a newbie, but I'm not a newbie to webdesign...
I thought I should create my own blog... (program the software).... I know a
blog is some kind of a website where people can add their thoughts etc...
and CMS manage the content. But IS there something more....?? Let's say one
person wants to use google to search for blogs, how can google see what is a
blog (there are blogs that don't the have word blog in the url)??

Best Regards!

Jeff

Nick Theodorakis

Hey

When it comes to blogging I'm a newbie, but I'm not a newbie to webdesign...
I thought I should create my own blog... (program the software)....

Do you mean you want to create your own content, or write your own
blogging CMS?
I know a
blog is some kind of a website where people can add their thoughts etc...
and CMS manage the content. But IS there something more....?? Let's say one
person wants to use google to search for blogs, how can google see what is a
blog (there are blogs that don't the have word blog in the url)??

Wordpress (a company that makes blogging software, which is a type of
CMS as you surmised) has this to say:

<http://codex.wordpress.org/Introduction_to_Blogging>

Nick

David Dorward

Jeff said:
When it comes to blogging I'm a newbie, but I'm not a newbie to
webdesign... I thought I should create my own blog... (program the
software)....

Why? Given the rest of your post, you don't seem to be really sure what one
is, so I'm having trouble understanding your motivation. There is also a
glut of blogging software on the market already.
I know a blog is some kind of a website where people can add
their thoughts etc...

Typically one person.
and CMS manage the content.

Usually, but that is only because a CMS makes it easier to create a website.
Its perfectly possible to handcraft a blog without any automation.
But IS there something more....??

Almost inevitably, entries are arranged in reverse chronological order and
an RSS feed is provided.
Let's say one person wants to use google to search for blogs,
how can google see what is a blog

It can't (other then making educated guesses).

Jeff

Do you know any CMS systems (for blogging) you can recommend? My motivation
to create the CMS system was that I thought that it would be cheaper to
create it myself... But creating it myself can take time, and time is
money... So I would be happy to learn that there are a very good CMS system
out there and it's cheap...

Jeff

dp

Jeff said:
Do you know any CMS systems (for blogging) you can recommend? My
motivation to create the CMS system was that I thought that it would
be cheaper to create it myself... But creating it myself can take
time, and time is money... So I would be happy to learn that there
are a very good CMS system out there and it's cheap...

Jeff

Movable Type, Wordpress, and Blogger all are free for installation on your
website. I just did some recent testing against all 3.
All are available for both Windows and Unix servers.
Movabletype is perl/cgi based and can be awkward to set up on windows
servers. The other 2 are php based.
Wordpress 2.0 has a "5 minute install" that works as advertised.
Blogger has some feature links that return you to the blogger site.

For a new blog installer, Wordpress 2.0 is hard to beat. Doesn't scale that
well if there are many people blogging on it though.
Includes the blogger api that enables you to add entries through email, one
of the firefox "blog this" extensions, or through one of many free desktop
apps.

Couple of other things you may want to look at if you roll your own...
"Search Engine Friendly" urls.
The ability to accept and send "linkbacks" to other blogs.
The ablity to sustain "Permalinks"

JDS

Do you know any CMS systems (for blogging) you can recommend? My motivation

Try this site:

http://opensourcecms.com

Frankly, you need not spend anything on blogging software except maybe to
get value-added things like installation, support, hosting, or
templates/designs.

Also, all the decent blogging CMSes are *basically* the same. Some might
emphasize more of this feature or more of that feature. Try NucleusCMS
and Wordpress, to name a couple I have used successfully.

windandwaves

David said:
Why? Given the rest of your post, you don't seem to be really sure
what one is, so I'm having trouble understanding your motivation.
There is also a glut of blogging software on the market already.

Typically one person.

Usually, but that is only because a CMS makes it easier to create a
website. Its perfectly possible to handcraft a blog without any
automation.

Almost inevitably, entries are arranged in reverse chronological
order and an RSS feed is provided.

It can't (other then making educated guesses).

does it have to be on your own website?