No more console installation on Linux with j2sdk 1.4.2?

Holger (David) Wagner

Hi group,

I've just downloaded the most recent j2sdk
(j2sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin) and was a little surprised that it
seems to be only available with NetBeans (which I do not use) and that
the installation fails with the message: The installer is unable to run
in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or
-silent flag.

In the installation instructions, it's said that "-console" and
"-silent" are not actually supported (and indeed, it fails after the
first screen) and that one has to make it work with X. But I do not use
X on a server, so that's big BS.

Is there an installer for Linux that works with the console alone
available somewhere or does Sun take Java to the desktop with force now
(and way from the server)???

regards,
david
--
Auch das geht vorüber. (Sufi-Weisheit)

Holger (David) Wagner Tel: +49 (89) 890 50 962
Dewetstrasse 1 Mobil: +49 (177) 274 12 45
D-80807 München Fax: +49 (177) 992741245

Steve

Hi group,

I've just downloaded the most recent j2sdk
(j2sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin) and was a little surprised that it
seems to be only available with NetBeans (which I do not use) and that
the installation fails with the message: The installer is unable to run
in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or
-silent flag.

In the installation instructions, it's said that "-console" and
"-silent" are not actually supported (and indeed, it fails after the
first screen) and that one has to make it work with X. But I do not use
X on a server, so that's big BS.

Is there an installer for Linux that works with the console alone
available somewhere or does Sun take Java to the desktop with force now
(and way from the server)???

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Sudsy

Holger said:
Hi group,

I've just downloaded the most recent j2sdk
(j2sdk-1_4_2-nb-3_5_1-bin-linux.bin) and was a little surprised that it
seems to be only available with NetBeans (which I do not use) and that
the installation fails with the message: The installer is unable to run
in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console or
-silent flag.

You just have to look more carefully at the download page. It is
indeed possible to download J2SDK sans NetBeans.
In the installation instructions, it's said that "-console" and
"-silent" are not actually supported (and indeed, it fails after the
first screen) and that one has to make it work with X. But I do not use
X on a server, so that's big BS.

Since you're apparently using a different machine to login to the
server, check out the DISPLAY environment variable. If I'm on
machine 192.168.0.2 and my server is 192.168.0.1, I just type
DISPLAY=192.168.0.2:0
export DISPLAY
Then when X tries to open a window it will attempt to do so on
the 192.168.0.2 machine. You might also need to type
xhost +102.168.0.1
on your machine to allow the connection.

Nigel Wade

Holger said:
[...]

That's the co-bundle, including NetBeans. NetBeans isn't much use without an
X server.

Try downloading the SDK only. There's a download which extracts directly, or
one containing an RPM.

Holger (David) Wagner

Steve said:
[email protected]: [...]
Is there an installer for Linux that works with the console alone
available somewhere or does Sun take Java to the desktop with force now
(and way from the server)???

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Ooops - I've overlooked the standard J2SE download 1.4.2_02 below the
cobundle download. Thought it was an old version... sorry!

regards,
david
--
Auch das geht vorüber. (Sufi-Weisheit)

Holger (David) Wagner Tel: +49 (89) 890 50 962
Dewetstrasse 1 Mobil: +49 (177) 274 12 45
D-80807 München Fax: +49 (177) 992741245

Steve

Ooops - I've overlooked the standard J2SE download 1.4.2_02 below the
cobundle download. Thought it was an old version... sorry!
LOL; supected as much but didn't want to assume. You are not the first and
certainly will not be the last (me included) to not read the screen