    noob Guest

    For a Windows ME system, is there a reason not to use v5.8.8 and use
    5.6.1 instead? Also for Win9x or WinXP.

    noob, Jun 19, 2006

  2. noob

    jl_post Guest

    I would always recommend the latest and greatest, unless the're a
    very good reason not to use it.

    So far, the only advantage I've found to using the 5.6.1 version is
    that some modules are available in ActiveState's 5.6 ppm that are not
    available yet in the 5.8 ppm repository.

    However, this is fairly rare, and the more time passes, the more the
    5.8 repositories will get updated, making such an issue less and less
    likely. (And presumably making the opposite scenario (where a module
    is available in 5.8 but not in 5.6) more likely.)

    So if it's between 5.6.1 and 5.8.8, my advice is to use 5.8.8.

    -- Jean-Luc

    jl_post, Jun 19, 2006

  3. noob

    Phil Guest

    There is a bug in the memory handling of ActivePerl 5.8.x which
    may cause EXTREME slowdowns when handling large blocks of memory.
    One of my scripts was around 100x slower running on 5.8.x as
    compared to the speed on 5.6.x. Other people have experienced
    this problem as well.

    Phil, Jun 19, 2006
  4. noob

    Sisyphus Guest

    Sounds interesting .... can you post a simple demo (or provide more info ...
    eg a relevant link) ?

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Jun 20, 2006
  5. noob

    noob Guest

    So except for a possible mem problem mentioned here, there are no real
    differences? Meaning differences in capabilities or in module
    installation. I have 5.6.1.638 which is updated from a several years
    old installation, and find that very little of the CPAN stuff will
    load, not even the latest CPAN itself.

    If it is the same with 5.8.whatever_is_current, then I guess I'm
    stuck.

    noob, Jun 20, 2006
  6. Who said that? There are lots of differences. People said there are few
    reasons to stay with 5.6. Most perl scripts written for 5.6 (or 5.5)
    will still work with 5.8, but the converse isn't necessarily true.

    Which is an excellent reason to upgrade to 5.8.x. Very few people will
    still test their modules with 5.6.x.

    However, on Windows you are probably better off using PPM instead of
    CPAN. Many CPAN modules need a C-compiler.

    hp

    Peter J. Holzer, Jun 20, 2006
  7. noob

    noob Guest

    Thanx, I plan to update if I hear no serious reasons not to. If nmake
    won't work, I'm reluctant to load a C-compiler just for a couple small
    projects, and they need to be portable anyway. Getting a user
    elsewhere to load & build that much isn't doable.

    Is the reason that so few modules are available on PPM that they can't
    be made to work on Windows, or just extreme lag-time?

    noob, Jun 20, 2006