object reference not set to an instance of an object

thersitz

Hi,

Very new to asp.net. Using VStudio 2005 on an XP Pro machine. Using Cassini
to view.

I see this error discussed all over the net but don't seem to find a way to
resolve my particular grief -- which I am sure is not unique. Here are my
basic steps:

1) create a masterpage -- add some simple graphics to the header.
2) add a new web form that references the master page and attaches a code
behind file. (actually added 3 files referencing the same mpage -- each
errors)
3) add some basic html into the placeholder auto-created in the web form
page, ie:

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1"
Runat="Server">

</asp:Content>

4) view the page and it all views okay.

But when I look at the page in design mode -- the Content placeholder shows
this error -- and it is referenced in the error list as well.

================
Error creating control - Content1
object reference not set to an instance of an object
================

Can anyone give me a heads up as to what this error means, how to get rid of
it, etc. I am guessing that it wants me to declare an object -- but where
(assuming codebehind file) and I am wondering why vstudio doesn't auto do
it? - which makes me think my guess is wrong.

thanks

Jon Paal

save your project , close out and reopen, that usually clears that problem up for me.

thersitz

Thanks Jon. I saw that suggestion in one of my google returns and tried
it -- but to no avail.

I've been playing around a bit and have noticed that this error does not
show until I paste in some basic html. I am going slowly into this aspNet
thing and am still using some traditional html -- div, p, table -- as i get
a feel for vstudio etc -- not using the html controls.

So my html is producing the error -- but why?

thersitz

Well I have narrowed the source of the error to this piece of code:

<!--#include file="imageBar.inc" -->

So I just need to come up with an aspnet version of this code.

thanks

David Wier

Try just running that piece of code by itself (copy it to a blank web page)
It sounds like something in particular on that page might be causing the
problem.

David Wier

Try just running that piece of code by itself (copy it to a blank web page)
It sounds like something in particular on that page might be causing the
problem.

Tom

I am having the same issue. I have a master page with one editable region. When I use the master and place plain html 4.0 data in the editable region it creates this error while in design view. Error Creating Control - Content1 Object Reference not set to an instance of an object.

The page renders correctly and build correctly. I have restart and tried various data. Is it becuase I am creating the page in another folder other than the master page. Even though it is looking for web root is it confused?

The page directive looks like this:

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/public/Public.master" >>> The rest is normal stuff.

My Directory structure is:

/
/public
/public/info
/public/news
/public/...more folders

my master is in /public/Public.master

The pages I am having issues in are the subfolders

/public/info/page_one.aspx

The files in the same folder as the master works fine:
/public/public.Master
/public/Default.aspx

Thanks

http://www.eggheadcafe.com