OCX Download to Client

Trollpower

Dear NG,

since im new to ASP.NET and WebControls and such stuff, ive got a
tricky thing to solve. Please excuse me if i put this posting into the
wrong group and tell where else I have to put it.

We have to make a Webapplication with the following things to do: The
client has a range of different devices attached to it (Barcode
scanner, Videocamera, fingerprintscanner...). All these devices are set
up correctly and the drivers are installed. Additionally there are some
OCX-Classes for each type of device necessary, which provide additional
functions (like getting images in different resolutions and colors,
providing a interchangeble imagecontainer for all components...). Using
the following article we were able to use these ocx-components to hook
into events provided by the components:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313891/en-us

But now we have to provide the needed ocx-component at runtime (the
components are a dll), for example if the components have changed and
the clients need a new one. With the article above we have seen that
the wrapper class for the ocx-components are transmitted as a
ActiveXControl (Written as a UserControl) automatically for example.
Our problem now is that we dont know how to transmit the ocx-dll
together with the ActiveXComponent if they are needed. For example if a
freshly installed client connects to the website and a control from the
ocx-components needs to be displayed, how do we also provide the dll
the ActiveXControl wraps in.

We've got a couple of ideas, but none of them seem to work. For example
we tried to embed the ocx-dll into the ActiveXComponent, but we dont
know how to put the embedded dll into the references so that we can use
it within our code. The other idea was the use of webservices, but
since the ocx-components are 3rd party components, we cant simply
rewrite them to be webservices.

So the two mainquestions are: How do we transmit the needed ocx.dll to
the client if they are needed along with the UserControl? How do we
install some sort of softwarepackage to the client if he makes a call
to a special website (of course it is registered as a trusted site
within IE and .Net Framework), so that we can install the ocx-files
automatically?

Thank you very much in advance for any help provided.

Jens

Robert Smith

No idea