off topic: google groups sucks?

Aaron Watters

Just a note. It seems that google groups is increasing the
sucks coefficient.

I search for things using "group search" for comp.lang.python
and I get no results even though I know there are results from
a few months or weeks ago.

What is the best alternative for this kind of trawling? gmane?

With all the smart people working at google how can they
**** up like this?

Inquiring minds want to know.

-- Aaron Watters

===
Sisyphus got ripped.

jkn

Stefan Behnel

jkn said:
There seems to be a problem with Google Searching 'at the moment'. I
have seen it with other groups, but not noticed it to date on c.l.p.

http://groups.google.com/group/groupsknownissues/browse_thread/thread/d88d02f269a7d20d#

I noticed a problem with Google in general this weekend, not even related
to mailing lists. I can't remember getting similarly bad results from a web
search for years. Even trivial queries that worked for months returned
completely unrelated pages and lacked the "obvious" target page in the
result set.

Stefan

Aaron Watters

Just a note.  It seems that google groups is increasing the
sucks coefficient.

I'm having better luck now using the advanced search option
with queries like

gadfly group:comp.lang.python

which become

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=gadfly+group:comp.lang.python

The "search this group" feature still needs fixing, however.

-- Aaron Watters

===
if you lined up all economists end to end
they'd still point in different directions.
-- stolen from somewhere

John Yeung

I'm having better luck now using the advanced search option
with queries like

   gadfly group:comp.lang.python

The "search this group" feature still needs fixing, however.

Thanks, Aaron, for confirming that it's not just me! I've been
noticing spotty or missing results searching groups for a while now,
actually, to the point that I gave up trying. Can't remember exactly
when it started, but I do remember that it used to work pretty well
and then suddenly got significantly worse.

Also, thanks for the tip of trying advanced searches.

John

Aaron Watters

Thanks, Aaron, for confirming that it's not just me!

yea, unfortunately this kind of thing happens in monopolies
that have no viable competition anymore... Sometimes I begin
to suspect that I'm seeing the results that I should want
rather than the results I want.

(Lucene has this property
too -- you get the results <b>the algorithm</b> wants you to get,
rather than the results you want to get.)

-- Aaron Watters

===
In communism the future is certain,
but the past is ever changing.