[off-topic]test

Ben Pfaff

Test, please ignore.

Your question is outside the domain of comp.lang.c, which discusses
only the standard C programming language, including the standard C
library. This is a remarkably narrow topic compared to what many
people expect.

For your convenience, the list below contains topics that are not
on-topic for comp.lang.c, and suggests newsgroups for you to
explore if you have questions about these topics. Please do
observe proper netiquette before posting to any of these
newsgroups. In particular, you should read the group's charter
and FAQ, if any. If those fail to answer your question then you
should browse through at least two weeks of recent articles to
make sure that your question has not already been answered.

* OS-specific questions, such as how to clear the screen,
access the network, list the files in a directory, or read
"piped" output from a subprocess. These questions should be
directed to OS-specific newsgroups, such as
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc, comp.unix.programmer, or
comp.os.linux.development.apps.

* Compiler-specific questions. Ask about these in
compiler-specific newsgroups, such as gnu.gcc.help or
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc. Questions about writing
compilers are appropriate in comp.compilers.

* Processor-specific questions, such as questions about
assembly and machine code. x86 questions are appropriate in
comp.lang.asm.x86, embedded system processor questions may
be appropriate in comp.arch.embedded.

* ABI-specific questions, such as how to interface assembly
code to C. These questions are both processor- and
OS-specific and should typically be asked in OS-specific
newsgroups.

* Algorithms, except questions about C implementations of
algorithms. "How do I implement algorithm X in C?" is not a
question about a C implementation of an algorithm, it is a
request for source code. Newsgroups comp.programming and
comp.theory may be appropriate.

* Making C interoperate with other languages. C has no
facilities for such interoperation. These questions should
be directed to system- or compiler-specific newsgroups. C++
has features for interoperating with C, so consider
comp.lang.c++ for such questions.

* The C standard, as opposed to standard C. Questions about
the C standard are best asked in comp.std.c.

* C++. Please do not post or cross-post questions about C++
to comp.lang.c. Ask C++ questions in C++ newsgroups, such
as comp.lang.c++ or comp.lang.c++.moderated.

* Test posts. Please test in a newsgroup meant for testing,
such as alt.test.

news.groups.questions is a good place to ask about the appropriate
newsgroup for a given topic.

Keith Thompson

August Derleth said:
(e-mail address removed) (Hudson Reis) wrote in
41:25p:

Tests go in alt.test. Always. Don't do this again.

Or misc.test, or comp.test, or any of a number of *.test newsgroups.
(There's even a misc.test.moderated.)

Christopher Benson-Manica

Ben Pfaff said:
Your question is outside the domain of comp.lang.c
(etc.)

As a standard off-topic redirector, I think this works very well.
It'd be really great if everyone just agreed that this single post
should be the only reponse to off-topic posts...

Ben Pfaff

Christopher Benson-Manica said:
As a standard off-topic redirector, I think this works very well.
It'd be really great if everyone just agreed that this single post
should be the only reponse to off-topic posts...

That's kind of my idea. I've posted it as a response to a few
off-topic articles now, refining it as necessary. So far, it
seems to get a reasonable response from the OPs.

Hudson Reis

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 03:48:31 GMT, in
"August Derleth" said
(e-mail address removed) (Hudson Reis) wrote in
41:25p:

Tests go in alt.test. Always. Don't do this again.

What the **** are you going to do about it if I do it again?

Ben Pfaff

Hudson Reis said:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 03:48:31 GMT, in
"August Derleth" said

What the **** are you going to do about it if I do it again?

Send an abuse report to your ISP. With luck, they'll cut off
your service for violation of the AUP.

Default User

Hudson said:
What the **** are you going to do about it if I do it again?

Not going to be a problem, as I am adding you to my killfile
immediately.

Presumably, you had some reason for test posting to these groups. Now
you have, at a stroke, alienated almost all the worthwhile people there.
Well done! You don't often see such idiocy.

Brian Rodenborn

CBFalconer

Hudson said:
"August Derleth" said

What the **** are you going to do about it if I do it again?

Your attitude, plus your ingenious addition of c.l.c++ to the
cross-post, shows you to be an offensive ignorant boor with
nothing to contribute to either news group, and has probably
already generated several complaints to your ISP (who, with any
luck, will terminate you) and has certainly installed you in
various killfiles around the world. This will greatly lessen the
chance of your ever receiving any help or advice in these areas,
should you ever desire it.