onchange not working in internet explorer

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Mister Joe, Mar 16, 2007.

  1. Mister Joe

    Mister Joe Guest

    I have a page and if the user has javascript enables I am trying to
    dynamically change a link to a sitemap to a dropdown menu (that when
    the option is changed will forward the user to another page). Here's
    the code

    try{

    var sel = document.createElement("select");

    sel.setAttribute("onchange", "alert('');");

    for(var i=0;i<this.labels.length;i++){

    var op = document.createElement("option");

    op.value = this.hrefs;

    op.appendChild(document.createTextNode(this.labels));

    sel.appendChild(op);

    }

    var ql = document.getElementById("quicklinks");

    ql.replaceChild(sel, ql.firstChild);

    if(document.body){

    alert(document.body.innerHTML);

    alert(sel.getAttribute("onchange"));

    }

    }catch(e){alert(e.name+"\n"+e.message)

    }

    This works fine in firefox and when I display the generated html it
    shows the select node w/ the appropriate onchange attribute in both ff
    and ie. The problem is that the event is not working in ie. For some
    reason changing the option does nothing. Any ideas? Also is this the
    most unobtrusive way to achieve a quick links menu. Part of me is
    considering just using an html/css vertical menu instead of a pull
    down.

    Thanks Guys

    Mister Joe, Mar 16, 2007

  2. Mister Joe

    Mister Joe Guest

    I actually got the event to work by using attachEvent and
    addEventListener...but I'm still wondering if what I'm doing is the
    most unobtrusive way.

    Mister Joe, Mar 16, 2007

  3. use -
    element.onchange=FuncName
    or
    element.onchange=function(){ doWhatever() }

    the above works in all browsers, afaik.

    scripts.contact, Mar 16, 2007
  4. Mister Joe

    Darko Guest

    As far as I know, the problem is that Internet Explorer recognizes
    something changed just after you lose focus on that element. That is,
    it "thinks" you're still changing it and will wait until you click
    somewhere on the side or on another element. If so, try combining with
    <option onclick> or something like that.

    Darko, Mar 16, 2007