onkeypress event problem

Wescotte

I have several <input type = 'text' ....> where I would like to allow
certain hotkeys to auto fill the data.

ie shift + 1, shitf + 2 etc etc

so I have

<input type = 'text' name = 'test_input' onkeypress =
'Check_Keys(this);'>

function Check_Keys(id)
{
if (window.event.shiftKey)
switch (window.event.keyCode) {
case 33: // Shift + 1
id.value = "You hit Shift + 1";
return false;
break;
}
return true;
}

Now if I hit shift +1 it fills the input with You hit Shift +1 but it
also appends a "!"

How can I tell it not to append the last keystroke?

Wescotte

I was able to get it to not append the keystroke however now I want to
force an onChange event to occur. How can I go about doing this?

MB

Wescotte said:
I was able to get it to not append the keystroke however now I want to
force an onChange event to occur. How can I go about doing this?

In the Check_Keys function:

id.fireEvent("onchange");