Online/HTML documentation for Std Lib

egoebel

Hi,

I would like to have a decent set of HTML docs for the entire Standard
C++ Library, as opposed to STL-only docs like the pages at SGI. I've
been using the MSDN docs but,...ugh...I'm sure I don't have to explain
why they stink.

Does this exist?

Phlip

Pavel said:

I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.

They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of each
method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':

cout
extern ostream cout;
The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte stream.

To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete examples.

Pavel Vozenilek

Phlip said:
I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.

They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of each
method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':

cout
extern ostream cout;
The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte stream.

To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete examples.
Hmm. Detailed complete examples are scattered around the web.
Either that or a book.

/Pavel

Pete Becker

Phlip said:
I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.

They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of each
method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':

cout
extern ostream cout;
The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte stream.

To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete examples.

Sigh. The first step for using any reference material is to look it over
so that you understand its organization and its target audience. You're
right that our documentation isn't written for novices. You're wrong
that it stinks. Your description is quite misleading; I won't speculate
on whether that's from malice or ignorance. There's far more descriptive
information than in the ISO standard. On the other hand, in many cases
it's deliberately terse, because that's all that's needed. If you read
what our documentation says about "standard output", "byte stream", and
you'll know exactly what that description of cout means. Finding the
descriptions of those terms isn't hard: they're hot links in the
descriptive text that you quoted, although for some reason you didn't
mention that.

egoebel

Phlip said:
I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.

They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of each
method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':

cout
extern ostream cout;
The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte stream.

To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete examples.
Examples isn't really what I am looking for. I'm looking for something
like doxygen (or javadoc). A reference with hyperlinks between
different types and so forth.

I'm tempted to try running doxygen against VC++ or one of my Linux
systems, but it would be nice if someone or some vendor had a site that
was laready "clenaed up."

egoebel

Pete said:
Sigh. The first step for using any reference material is to look it over
so that you understand its organization and its target audience. You're
right that our documentation isn't written for novices. You're wrong
that it stinks. Your description is quite misleading; I won't speculate
on whether that's from malice or ignorance. There's far more descriptive
information than in the ISO standard. On the other hand, in many cases
it's deliberately terse, because that's all that's needed. If you read
what our documentation says about "standard output", "byte stream", and
you'll know exactly what that description of cout means. Finding the
descriptions of those terms isn't hard: they're hot links in the
descriptive text that you quoted, although for some reason you didn't
mention that.

Actually I took another look at Dinkumware's documentation. It's pretty
close to what I am looking for.