onmouseover vs. onmousemove

Water Cooler v2

Am I right in my understanding here?

The onmouseover event occurs only once at the exact time the mouse
pointer enters into an object's boundaries. In contrast, onmousemove
occurs from the time the mouse pointer enters an object's boundaries
and occurs everytime the mouse pointer moves one pixel as long as it is
inside the object's boundaries.

Randy Webb

Water Cooler v2 said the following on 4/18/2006 10:34 AM:
Am I right in my understanding here?

Yes, within some limitations.
The onmouseover event occurs only once at the exact time the mouse
pointer enters into an object's boundaries.

As long as it does not enter another objects boundaries that may be
included or overlapping the first object's boundaries.
In contrast, onmousemove occurs from the time the mouse pointer enters
an object's boundaries and occurs everytime the mouse pointer moves one
pixel as long as it is inside the object's boundaries.

See above.

Water Cooler v2

Thanks for the reply, Randy.
As long as it does not enter another objects boundaries that may be
included or overlapping the first object's boundaries.

Interesting. What happens in such an event? I am guessing the events
would cascade, right?

Randy Webb

Water Cooler v2 said the following on 4/18/2006 11:28 AM:
Thanks for the reply, Randy.

Interesting. What happens in such an event? I am guessing the events
would cascade, right?

Test it :)

Put an onmouseover event on a TR element in a Table that changes the
window.status. Then, mouseover the table :) Mousing over the TR will
fire the onmouseover but when it reaches the boundaries of the TD then,
in IE anyway, it stops honoring the mouseover of the TR even though you
are technically still over the TR when you are over a child TD.

The "Test It" is not a sarcastic response though. Many times, you can
learn more from testing it and observing and you get the benefit of
learning it yourself and it tends to stick with you longer.