open pdf files into the browser

alessandro.bernardini.1979

I want to create an html files with links to other html files AND to
pdf files and I want that some html links are related to some pdf
links.

And I want that clicking an html links displays the html file in the
upper part of the browser AND the pdf file in the lover part (with
acroread naturally)...

Exemple:

Clicking on firstlink displays

firstlink.thml (in the upper part of the browser)
firstlink.pdf (in the lower part of the browser,
automatically).

How can i do this ?

Any help or link ti help is appreciated

THX.

rf

I want to create an html files with links to other html files AND to
pdf files and I want that some html links are related to some pdf
links.

And I want that clicking an html links displays the html file in the
upper part of the browser AND the pdf file in the lover part (with
acroread naturally)...

Exemple:

Clicking on firstlink displays

firstlink.thml (in the upper part of the browser)
firstlink.pdf (in the lower part of the browser,
automatically).

How can i do this ?

Write a new browser?

Bergamot

And I want that clicking an html links displays the html file in the
upper part of the browser AND the pdf file in the lover part (with
acroread naturally)...

Maybe that's what *you* want, but is that what your visitors want?

It would really annoy me. I don't want PDFs to open in my browser at
all. They should always open in my separate PDF reader app *after* I've
given permission to do so. It isn't necessarily Adobe's reader, either.

Jonathan N. Little

I want to create an html files with links to other html files AND to
pdf files and I want that some html links are related to some pdf
links.

And I want that clicking an html links displays the html file in the
upper part of the browser AND the pdf file in the lover part (with
acroread naturally)...

Exemple:

Clicking on firstlink displays

firstlink.thml (in the upper part of the browser)
firstlink.pdf (in the lower part of the browser,
automatically).

How can i do this ?

Yes you *can* in an object element but the real question is *should*
you. I would say no, because PDFs are significantly larger then their
HTML counterparts. It would be as bad as having a HUGE image on your
page...either use HTML or just link to the PDF and give a reference to
the size of the file for users...

still me

Yes you *can* in an object element but the real question is *should*
you. I would say no, because PDFs are significantly larger then their
HTML counterparts. It would be as bad as having a HUGE image on your
page...either use HTML or just link to the PDF and give a reference to
the size of the file for users...

Could do it with frames and some Javascript.

Agree on the "bad idea".

dorayme

still me said:
You're annoying Bill Gates with talk like that.

For quick looks at pdfs off line, I use my browser to see pdf
files out of choice. I just grab files and plonk them on Safari.
But I have a very nice Mac plugin that acts fast and is quicker
than opening something like Acrobat (either the stand alone or
via browser). It is often convenient to do the same with online
pdfs.

alessandro.bernardini.1979

I found that the use of frames works well for my purpose of opening
pdf files as a part of the browsers-window.

Look at following code:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Eingebettete Frames definieren</title>
</head>

<h1>Fenstergucker</h1>

<iframe src="http://www.rz.uni-osnabrueck.de/Zum_Nachlesen/
Skripte_Tutorials/WebPublishing/html.pdf" width="90%" height="400"
name="SELFHTML_in_a_box">
Sie k&ouml;nnen die eingebettete Seite &uuml;ber den folgenden
Verweis

</iframe>

it works.
I now have two questions:
a) how can i set the width and height dynamically, referencing to the
actual windows size ?
b)whe disappears the link to the pdf file if i save the html to the
hard disk (I use netscape).

In fact, if i save the listed html file i become:

<h1>Fenstergucker</h1>

<iframe src="test-saved_files/html.html" width="90%" height="400"
name="SELFHTML_in_a_box">
&lt;p&gt;Ihr Browser kann leider keine eingebetteten Frames
anzeigen:
Sie k&amp;ouml;nnen die eingebettete Seite &amp;uuml;ber den
folgenden Verweis
aufrufen: &lt;a&gt;SELFHTML&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

</iframe>

loosing the link.

What can i do ?

THX

dorayme

I found that the use of frames works well for my purpose of opening
pdf files as a part of the browsers-window.

Look at following code:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "
-----

it works.
I now have two questions:
a) how can i set the width and height dynamically, referencing to the
actual windows size ?

I have not been following this thread and not perfectly sure what
you are asking but it sure looks and behaves more sensibly in my
browsers if you were to use

width="100%" height="100%"

instead of your

width="90%" height="400"

And perhaps think of some way not to take up so much headspace
with your:

<h1>Fenstergucker</h1>

You might find better than to

<h1 style="display:inline;">Fenstergucker</h1>

an:</p>

?