    As Date = DBNull.Value, _
    Optional ByVal strHistoryText
    As String = DBNull.Value) As Boolean

    David C, Dec 7, 2009

  2. David C

    Scott M. Guest

    There are several problems with your code, but the immediate problem, which
    is causing the "Constant expression is required" error message is being
    caused because, while the property "Value" of the DBNull type may always
    return back the same result, it is defined as a readonly field, which is not
    the same as a "constant" expression. You must either set the parameter to
    an actual "constant" type that has been defined somewhere else or supply a
    hard-coded "constant" value.

    So, that means that your Date parameter must be passes an actual Date
    constant or you must supply a hard-coded Date value and your String
    parameter must be set to a String constant or be hard coded to a String
    object reference. As you are passing your parameters ByVal (the default and
    most likely the desired choice), Date parameters are Value Types and will
    hold a value and String parameters are Reference Types, they hold a
    reference to a String object.

    Other issues:

    Optional parameters, by definition, must be supplied a default value.
    DBNull.Value is not sufficient as it means "no value", which conflicts with
    the optional parameter rule.

    Here are some other reasons why this won't work:

    1. A Date is Value Type. Value Types generally cannot be Null.
    2.With a String, setting it to DBNull.Value doesn't affect the String data,
    it affcts the *reference* that the String *variable* refers to because
    Strings are Reference Types. As such setting the String parameter to
    DBNull.Value doesn't make any sense as it means that if no String is passed
    then your String parameter should hold a reference to Nothing, but Optional
    parameters cannot

    So, one solution would be to supply actual hard-coded values for your Date
    and String (Some date that indicates not a valid date, like #01/01/1900# and
    perhaps an empty string ("").

    But, realy the better solution would be to not use Optional Parameters at
    all and instead use Overloading, which would allow you to write a version of
    your method that doesn't take those last two parameters at all and simply
    sets the values of the Date and String using a Nullable(Of Date) set to
    DBNull.Value and a String set to String.Empty.

    If you include both of the following, you'll solve your problem, as in:

    Public Class Foo

    Private theDate As Nullable (Of DateTime)
    Private theString As String

    Public Shared Function CreateHistoryDates( _
    ByVal intPeopleLinkID As Int32, _
    ByVal intHistoryTypeID As Int16, _
    ByVal intHistoryReasonID As Int32, _
    ByVal dtHistoryDate As Date, _
    ByVal dtHistoryDateTo As Date, _
    ByVal strHistoryText As String) As Boolean

    End Function

    Public Shared Function CreateHistoryDates( _
    ByVal intPeopleLinkID As Int32, _
    ByVal intHistoryTypeID As Int16, _
    ByVal intHistoryReasonID As Int32, _
    ByVal dtHistoryDate As Date) As Boolean

    'Since the last 2 parameters are not being
    'passed to this version of the method, we
    'can safely manually set them to the Null/Empty
    'values we desire.
    theDate = DBNull.Value
    theString = String.Empty

    End Function

    End Class

    Optional Parameters are "legal" in VB .NET, but really only exist to support
    legacy code brought in from VB 6. Using Overloaded class memebers is the
    more OO way of doing this, and as you can see, makes the code much easier to
    write and maintain.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Dec 8, 2009

  3. David C

    David C Guest

    I was not aware you could have 2 methods (CreateHistoryDates) of the same
    name in the same Class.

    David

    David C, Dec 8, 2009
  4. David C

    Scott M. Guest

    Absolutely. This is called "Overloading" and is allowed as long as the two
    (or more) versions of the method have different *signatures* (their
    parameter types, amount of paramters, and order of the parameters). This is
    a basic feature of most OO languages.

    When you are working in Visual Studio and the IntelliSense advises you that
    there is more than one way to complete a parameter list for a given
    constructor or method call by saying (1 of X) in the tooltip, it is Visual
    Studio's way of telling you that the method has been overloaded by the class
    author and that there are several different versions of the method available
    for you to call.

    This eliminates the need to write one, mega-method, that has bunches of
    optional parameters.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Dec 8, 2009