Order of events, databinding, and UserControls

Nathan Sokalski

I have a very simple UserControl which contains an Image and a Label, which
I use to display an image with a caption. I am using this control inside a
DataList, setting the two Public variables using attributes in the *.aspx
page. Everything displays great for the initial load, but whenever I try to
add or delete an item (I have controls to do this on the page), it does not
seem to be recieving any values for the public variables. Here is the
important code I use for the UserControl and the DataList I use it in (if I
left out anything that will help you determine the problem, let me know):

The UserControl:

Public caption As String = ""
Public photo As String = ""

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Dim i As System.Drawing.Image =
System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(MapPath(photo))
imgPhoto.Width = New Unit(200)
imgPhoto.Height = New Unit(CInt(200 * i.Height / i.Width))
imgPhoto.ImageUrl = photo
lblCaption.Text = caption.Trim()
End Sub

The DataList:

<asp:datalist id="datImages" runat="server" EnableViewState="False"
CellPadding="0" CellSpacing="5" RepeatColumns="3"
RepeatDirection="Horizontal" DataKeyField="contentid">
<ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" VerticalAlign="Bottom"></ItemStyle>
<ItemTemplate>
<uc1:captionimage id="CapImg" runat="server" EnableViewState="False"
photo='<%#
DataBinder.Eval(Container,"DataItem.content","newsinfo/{0}").Trim() %>'
caption='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.textcaption").Trim()
%>'></uc1:captionimage><BR><BR>
<asp:Button id="btnDeleteImg" runat="server"
CausesValidation="False" Font-Bold="True" EnableViewState="False"
Text="Delete" CommandName="delete"></asp:Button>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:datalist>

The DeleteCommand Handler:

Private Sub datImages_DeleteCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataListCommandEventArgs) Handles
datImages.DeleteCommand
Dim cmdDelete As New OleDbCommand("DELETE FROM newsinfo WHERE
contentid=" & CInt(datImages.DataKeys(e.Item.ItemIndex)), New
OleDbConnection(Global.connectionstring))

If Not e.Item.DataItem Is Nothing AndAlso
System.IO.File.Exists(Server.MapPath("newsinfo/" &
CStr(CType(e.Item.DataItem, DataRowView).Row("content")))) Then
System.IO.File.Delete(Server.MapPath("newsinfo/" &
CStr(CType(e.Item.DataItem, DataRowView).Row("content"))))
cmdDelete.Connection.Open()
cmdDelete.ExecuteNonQuery()
cmdDelete.Connection.Close()
Me.RefreshResults()
End Sub

The Page_Load Method:

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Me.RefreshResults()
End Sub

The Me.RefreshResults() Method:

Private Sub RefreshResults()
Dim imagedatatable As New DataTable
Dim imageadapter As New OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT
contentid,textcaption,content FROM newsinfo WHERE contenttype='image'",
Global.connectionstring)

imageadapter.Fill(imagedatatable)
datImages.DataSource = imagedatatable
datImages.DataBind()
End Sub

Why does everything work fine on the initial load of the page, but not after
a postback? If you need to see any other code, let me know. Thanks.

Ashish

Nathan,
you need to check for postback on pageload, the datalist can recreate
itself, you would need to rebind only if you change the datasource (
like in your DeleteCommand method)

hth

Nathan Sokalski

When I do an If Not IsPostBack() in the Page_Load, then one of my other
events does not work because it uses the DataKeys property, which is not
completely created until after databinding. Any other ideas?

Ashish

the problem would be that grid would bind again and event would be lost,
because the grid has lost the view state information,

on the itemcommand event you should be able to datakey value without
having to rebind it,
you can post more code if you want

Nathan Sokalski

OK, but I am still having a problem that happens only on postbacks. The problem (or at least the error line it shows in the error, I think the error is somewhere else) is in the extra little class I wrote to display images with captions. Here is a screenshot of the error I am shown:

Server Error in '/VAPresenters' Application.

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\VAPresenters

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\VAPresenters

Source Error:

Line 27:
Line 28: Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Line 29: Dim i As System.Drawing.Image = System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(MapPath(photo))
Line 30: imgPhoto.Height = New Unit(CInt(200 * i.Height / i.Width))
Line 31: i.Dispose() 'Without this line, you may recieve an error saying another process is using the file when you try to delete it

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\VAPresenters\captionimage.ascx.vb Line: 29

Stack Trace:

[FileNotFoundException: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\VAPresenters]
System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement) +204
System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename) +7
VAPresenters.captionimage.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\VAPresenters\captionimage.ascx.vb:29
System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +307
System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add(Control child) +153
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.CreateItem(Int32 itemIndex, ListItemType itemType, Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem) +111
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataList.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +686
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.CreateChildControls() +61
System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +100
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.get_Controls() +12
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +20
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.DataBind() +23
VAPresenters.newsinfoadmin.RefreshResults() in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\VAPresenters\newsinfoadmin.aspx.vb:64
VAPresenters.newsinfoadmin.datLinksFiles_PreRender(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\VAPresenters\newsinfoadmin.aspx.vb:192
System.Web.UI.Control.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +67

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

Here is the class code and the couple other things that might be relevant:

The Class's .aspx File:

<%@ Control Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="captionimage.ascx.vb" Inherits="VAPresenters.captionimage" TargetSchema="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5" %>
<asp:Image id="imgPhoto" runat="server" EnableViewState="False"></asp:Image><BR>
<asp:Label id="lblCaption" runat="server" EnableViewState="False" Font-Size="X-Small" Width="200px"></asp:Label><br>

The Class's .aspx.vb File (the "Web Form Designer Generated Code" section is not included here, I did not modify that part):

Public Class captionimage
Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl

Public caption As String = ""
Public photo As String = ""

Dim i As System.Drawing.Image = System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(MapPath(photo))
imgPhoto.Height = New Unit(CInt(200 * i.Height / i.Width))
i.Dispose() 'Without this line, you may recieve an error saying another process is using the file when you try to delete it
imgPhoto.Width = New Unit(200)
imgPhoto.ImageUrl = photo
lblCaption.Text = caption.Trim()
End Sub
End Class

The Me.RefreshResults() Method:

Private Sub RefreshResults()
Dim imagedatatable As New DataTable
Dim imageadapter As New OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT contentid,textcaption,content FROM newsinfo WHERE contenttype='image'", Global.connectionstring)

imageadapter.Fill(imagedatatable)
datImages.DataSource = imagedatatable
datImages.DataBind()
End Sub

The 2 Places I call RefreshResults() From:

If Not IsPostBack() Then Me.RefreshResults()
End Sub

Private Sub Page_PreRender(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.PreRender
If IsPostBack() Then Me.RefreshResults()
End Sub

The error is recieved only on postbacks (no matter what I do to cause the postback, as far as I can tell). If I remove the line in Page_PreRender Then I do not recieve the error, but doing that obviously means that my page does not get updated. Another thing that is confusing me, whether it is related I cannot tell, but in the Template Editor I see the following:

Did I forget something in the UserControl's code? Why is it having a problem creating the control? I don't think it matters for now, but since the line shown in the error is in the control's code, I though it would be good to mention this. Thanks.

Ashish

Nathan,
the photo and caption variables in your control are not being set (
atleast in the code that i see), do you want to perform the image
operation on some action ?

Nathan said:
[...]

Error Creating Control

--
Nathan Sokalski
(e-mail address removed) <mailto:[email protected]>

Ashish said:
the problem would be that grid would bind again and event would be lost,
because the grid has lost the view state information,

on the itemcommand event you should be able to datakey value without
having to rebind it,
you can post more code if you want

Nathan Sokalski

The place where I set the photo and caption variables is in the .aspx file's
tag for the control by using databinding. This gives the desired results
during the initial load. Here is the section of the code that contains the
tag I am referring to:

<asp:datalist id="datImages" runat="server" DataKeyField="contentid"
CellPadding="0" CellSpacing="5" RepeatColumns="3"
RepeatDirection="Horizontal">
<ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" VerticalAlign="Bottom"></ItemStyle>
<ItemTemplate>
<uc1:captionimage id=CapImg runat="server" EnableViewState="true"
photo='<%#
DataBinder.Eval(Container,"DataItem.content","newsinfo/{0}").Trim() %>'
caption='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.textcaption").Trim()
%>'></uc1:captionimage><BR>
<asp:Button id="btnDeleteImg" runat="server" Text="Delete"
EnableViewState="False" Font-Bold="True" CausesValidation="False"
CommandName="delete"></asp:Button>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:datalist>

Notice that the tag for the captionimage contains attributes called photo
and caption. From some of the debugging that I tried to do when I first
started recieving this error it seemed like the control was being created
before the databinding, which other than the initial load it is due to the
fact that my page's Load event has the call to Me.RefreshResults() inside
the following if statement:

If Not IsPostBack() Then Me.RefreshResults()

It almost feels like I need to somehow wait until after databinding to
execute the captionimage's code, but I believe the page's Load event
automatically calls the captionimage's Load event. I'm not sure what to do
from here.
--
Nathan Sokalski
(e-mail address removed)

Nathan Sokalski wrote:
When I do an If Not IsPostBack() in the Page_Load, then one of my other
events does not work because it uses the DataKeys property, which is not
completely created until after databinding. Any other ideas?

Ashish

what if you do the photo operation from the postback of the button event
(or OnItemCommand) instead of page_load ?

Nathan Sokalski

I might have to end up doing that, but if I were to do that, there wouldn't
be much point in even creating a UserControl, since it is so small and the
photo operation is the only code that is in the UserControl. I might need to
do that due to time restraints. I will also try this other idea. What if I
put the photo operation code in the UserControl's PreRender event? would it
get called immediately after the UserControl's Load event, or would it get
called from the page's PreRender event? Either way, thanks for your
suggestion, hopefully one of these two ideas will work. Thanks, I will let
you know.

Nathan Sokalski

My PreRender idea worked! Thank you for all your help, you were a big help
in achieving my goal for this project, I appreciate it.