OT: Another reason to NOT use .NET

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

I don't think that's a reason to fear .NET. I just think it's another
reminder that no platform or language is going to allow us to be lazy... we
need to continue being diligent and always considering security issues when
writing applications, period.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

As far as I know ASP doesn't have much in the way of "programming"
holes. However, I know IIS does. But IIS still serves .NET! So does
this mean that .NET is 2 times as chance to be hacked?

Anything Microsoft produces is at least twice as likely to be hacked because
they are a popular target. The question is, twice as likely compared to
what? Anything is likely to be hacked... you can leave the "most secure"
system in the world wide open, it's all about laziness.

If you're that paranoid about using a particular technology that the threat
of being hacked exceeds your willingness to make your systems secure, maybe
you should be in another business...

Andrew Durstewitz

I am talking compared to some Open Source products, such as Apache. I
primarily develope application in ASP and .NET on Linux to insure the
highest protection. Just by that fact proves that I am not "LAZY" in my
security efforts.

I do understand the "visability" of MS being a factor of the security.
But I am less than thrilled on the "overall" developer communities
adoption of .NET. Even MS it's self has droped the name .NET from it's
vocabulary.

-Andrew

* * * Sent via DevBuilder http://www.devbuilder.org * * *
Developer Resources for High End Developers.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

But I am less than thrilled on the "overall" developer communities
adoption of .NET. Even MS it's self has droped the name .NET from it's
vocabulary.

*sigh*

A name is just a name. Which version of Visual Studio are you using? Is
anyone at your company using VB.Net or C#?

Don't reply to your original post. Follow the thread, then we know who
you're replying to.

Andrew Durstewitz

*sigh*
A name is just a name. Which version of Visual >Studio are you using? Is
anyone at your company using VB.Net or C#?

Don't reply to your original post. Follow the >thread, then we know who
you're replying to.

I am using VB.NET and have been thinking about using ASP.NET in place of
traditional ASP, but have found ASP.NET lacking.

-Andrew

* * * Sent via DevBuilder http://www.devbuilder.org * * *
Developer Resources for High End Developers.

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Andrew Durstewitz said:
I am using VB.NET and have been thinking about using ASP.NET in place of
traditional ASP, but have found ASP.NET lacking.

If you "primarily develope application in ASP and .NET on Linux to insure
the highest protection", then that's quite understandable ..

Andrew Durstewitz

If you "primarily develope application in ASP >and .NET on Linux to
insure
the highest protection", then that's quite >understandable ..

Ok...

However my orgional post was to get some discussion around the use of
NET over the use of traditional ASP and VB applications. Any thoughts?
Do you use .NET over traditional ASP?

-Andrew

* * * Sent via DevBuilder http://www.devbuilder.org * * *
Developer Resources for High End Developers.

Ray at

My first impression of ASP.NET is that it's designed for people who want
auto-pilot. Datagrids seem totally bogus. All it's doing is writing your
HTML for you. I prefer to write my own. But, I can see myself going all
..NET but only taking advantage of a few of the features. I can't see myself
using datagrids or anything like that. I will continue to just code
everything and write my own HTML in Textpad. (www.textpad.com - buy it
now!)

Ray at home

Andrew Durstewitz

May the force be with you! :eek:) I like to hear that other coders do
everything by hand. To much GUI is bad for the brain. Mountan Dew on
the other hand is good for the brain!

-Andrew

* * * Sent via DevBuilder http://www.devbuilder.org * * *
Developer Resources for High End Developers.

Don Verhagen

In frank <[email protected]> typed:
: message :: ::
:::
::: I already have it. Do I Need to buy another copy for .NET, ie
::: Textpad.NET?
:::
::: Can you tell it's Friday?
:::
:: He he. Textpad rules.
:
: It does. I write ASP and ASP.NET applications with Textpad.

Thanks, but I guess I should have put [sacarasm] tags around my post.

Don Verhagen

Andrew Durstewitz

Eh, text pad is ok. I tend to use code editors with text highlighting.
Makes it easier to read.