[OT] Apology

Pedro Graca

In a recent thread someone posted an email address with three dots in
it. In trying to be funny I used a word with a meaning different than
what I had in mind.

Group: please accept my apologies.

OP of the thread: I chose the words to use based on a grep search of a
word list. I thought it meant something along the lines of "brat".
Please accept my apologies and don't take it personally.

[ Article posted outside the thread to minimize the number of times that
word is reread. ]

Robert Gamble

Pedro said:
In a recent thread someone posted an email address with three dots in
it. In trying to be funny I used a word with a meaning different than
what I had in mind.

Group: please accept my apologies.

OP of the thread: I chose the words to use based on a grep search of a
word list. I thought it meant something along the lines of "brat".
Please accept my apologies and don't take it personally.

[ Article posted outside the thread to minimize the number of times that
word is reread. ]

I have no idea what you are talking about and I am sure that anyone who
didn't read the thread in question won't either. By creating a
seperate thread just to post your apology you are only drawing
attention to your mistake, whatever that was exactly, and are likely to
encourage others who never originally read what you are referring to to
seek out your misstep which is something you claim to not want to do.
Next time you should strongly consider posting something like this in
the thread where it belongs, where it is in context and the people who
would have been offended offended will most likely see it.

Robert Gamble

Default User

Pedro said:
In a recent thread someone posted an email address with three dots in
it. In trying to be funny I used a word with a meaning different than
what I had in mind.

If it makes you feel any better, the poet Robert Browning made a
somewhat similar error in his poem "Pippa Passes".

<http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001814.html>

William Bryson, in recounting this, says that Browning never knew of
his error because no one could think of a sufficiently delicate way of
explaining it to him.

Brian

Pedro Graca

Robert said:
Pedro said:
[ Article posted outside the thread to minimize the number of times that
word is reread. ]

Next time you should strongly consider posting something like this in
the thread where it belongs, where it is in context and the people who
would have been offended offended will most likely see it.

Ok, noted for the future.