OT: My killfile

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Keith Thompson, Jan 4, 2009.

  1. I have never used a killfile in comp.lang.c. Most of the time,
    I've read, or at least skimmed, every article that appears on my
    server in this newsgroup, other than obvious spam.

    I am now sufficiently sick and tired of the trolls that I'm going
    to start using a killfile (or, more precisely, a score file,
    the mechanism used by my newsreader of choise). This is not a
    "plonk", in the sense that I don't intend to specifically announce
    who's being added to my score file (though I might choose to do so
    at times). The initial entries will be those who are, in my opinion,
    obvious trolls.

    I am making no commitment of any kind here. The choice of when I
    start using a score file, whom I add to it, and whether to bypass
    it and read certain articles, or even reply to them, will continue
    to be entirely mine. This is not a game in which the trolls can
    score points by goading me; it is merely my personal decision about
    how I'm going to read this newsgroup. And I'm sure I'll see some
    of the trolls' words when others post followups to them.

    I don't expect most readers of this newsgroup to be particularly
    interested in this announcement, and I expect the trolls will,
    as usual, try to make fun of it. So be it.

    I make this announcement for two reasons. First, readers should
    be aware that, if I don't respond to something that seems to call
    for a response, it may be because I deliberately didn't see it.
    Some of the posters whom I consider to be trolls sometimes post
    actual technical information; I won't be seeing it. Since I happen
    to be among the most prolific posters in this newsgroup, and almost
    all of my postings here are followups, that might be significant.

    Second, I'd like to gently encourage others to do something similar
    (I know a number of people already do). The trolls are, in my
    opinion, doing serious damage to the integrity and usefulness of this
    newsgroup. The more the trolls are silently ignored, the better off
    we'll be. I claim no leadership role here; this is just my advice,
    which anyone is free to ignore. I recognize that getting everyone
    here to agree on any course of action is virtually impossible.

    I don't particularly want this to spawn a long discussion thread.
    I'd much rather discuss C.

    Keith Thompson, Jan 4, 2009

  2. Keith Thompson

    Default User Guest

    I certainly agree with your position. Trolls cannot be "defeated" by
    argumentation. Only by making it not worth their time to bother with
    their clever "contributions".

    Brian

    Default User, Jan 4, 2009

  3. Keith Thompson

    JC Guest

    Another victory for Han. We're getting pretty schooled here, guys.
    Fortunately, this thread is not doing any serious damage to the
    integrity and usefulness of this newsgroup.

    About half of the above paragraph was sarcasm, exactly which half is
    left as an exercise to the reader.

    Jason

    JC, Jan 4, 2009
  4. What amazing prescience you have, Keith!
    Yeah, right... a few people providing correct, useful answers to
    technical questions about real-world C is just destroying your platonic
    ideal of what this newsgroup should be, isn't it? I say DAMN GOOD THING
    TOO. The tide has turned in this group, and it's turned for the better.

    By the way, you did read through your long rant before posting it, and
    you did realize how ridiculously precious it was, didn't you?

    Antoninus Twink, Jan 5, 2009
  5. Keith Thompson

    Richard Guest

    I blushed for him to be honest.

    Richard, Jan 5, 2009

  6. This is an unmoderated newsgroup, it hasn't got a gram of integrity.
    It's a town with no laws, no police, no hangman, not even a mother to
    smack your bum. Towns with no laws work in the early days, but then
    they get too big for their boots. Comp.lang.c is too big for its
    boots.

    In "real life", if someone's causing trouble, you can go around to
    their house and punch them in the face. Or call the police, whatever
    floats your boat. Here though, all you can do is ignore them... or...
    well... start threads about how you'd like them to be ignored.

    Face it, anyone can post whatever they want to this group. If you want
    to create a moderated newsgroup for the discussion of C then go ahead,
    announce it here and see how many people join, I might even join
    myself.

    In the meantime, comp.lang.c is entertainment. Sure I come here to
    post and read stuff about C, but I'm also entertained by the posts of
    such people as Han from China and Kenny McCormack, who seem to be
    quite well-rounded individuals who are getting an extra bit of
    enjoyment from life by pushing the buttons of people who care too
    much. If regulars didn't make it so much fun for them to be here,
    they'd go elsewhere, trust me. It's sort of like those dried-out fruit
    sweets you see in the shop... you know they're horrible but there must
    be a reason for them to still be on the shelves after all these
    years, /somebody/ must be buying them otherwise they'd be taken off
    the shelves. There is one person in particular that keeps the trolls
    here.

    Give up on the pipe dream of comp.lang.c.

    Has anyone been to the PIC list recently? It's got an "off topic"
    section which you can subscribe to and de-subscribe from at will,
    pretty neat if you wanna discuss Shakespeare with the guy who was
    discussing C with you 10 minutes ago. Plus it's moderated, but the
    moderation is based on a poster's account rather than on a post-by-
    post basis, which means there isn't a delay. You might get one dodgy
    post in, but once you're banned that's it you've got to create another
    account.

    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Jan 5, 2009
  7. Keith Thompson

    Richard Bos Guest

    Who the **** cares? This group is dead, anyway. The trolls (you know who
    you are) and the hypocrits and idiots (you probably don't know who you
    are, R.H., C.F. and B.C., but we do) between them have killed it. All
    the rest of us are doing is pissing in the wind. The only reason to stay
    is nostalgic pigheadedness (to which I presonally do own up).

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jan 5, 2009
  8. Keith Thompson

    CBFalconer Guest

    comp.lang.c.moderated exists. Just use it. Prepare for delays.
    No it isn't just entertainment. Han, McCormack, etc. are simply
    interrupting boors with no manners whatsoever. There are other
    newsgroups suitable for their nonsense. Here most users simply
    PLONK them, limiting the nuisance to people who insist on annoying
    by replying to the trolls. Those people are almost equally
    ignorant, and are certainly boors.

    CBFalconer, Jan 5, 2009
  9. Keith Thompson

    Richard Guest

    Sorry? You are the most pedantic, time wasting poster here by a LONG
    chalk. Get your own house in order before lecturing others.
    You describe yourself well. You net nanny, pick and make more mistakes
    than anyone else here.

    If you truly desire to help, then help. Else go away.

    Richard, Jan 5, 2009
  10. Keith Thompson

    Hmmm, this sentence can be read in two different ways.

    Brian

    Default User, Jan 6, 2009
  11. Keith Thompson

    Bartc Guest

    You've got me worried now.

    Bartc, Jan 6, 2009
  12. Keith Thompson

    Richard Bos Guest

    If you've only started worrying now, you're remarkably slow on the
    uptake.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jan 6, 2009
  13. Keith Thompson

    Bartc Guest

    Sorry I was referring to the identity of the mysterious B.C.

    I think I know who you mean now although I wouldn't put those particular
    labels on them.

    Bartc, Jan 6, 2009
  14. Well, who is he then?

    Antoninus Twink, Jan 6, 2009
  15. Keith Thompson

    CBFalconer Guest

    True. How about: "Han, McCormack, etc. are simply boots
    interrupting, with no manners whatsoever."

    CBFalconer, Jan 6, 2009
  16. Keith Thompson

    CBFalconer Guest

    Yup. English is a simple language. Likewise spelling. :)

    CBFalconer, Jan 7, 2009
  17. Mark, please don't feed the troll.

    Keith Thompson, Jan 7, 2009
  18. Keith Thompson

    Richard Guest

    He has posted more *correct* help here than all the Default Users, CBFs
    , JoJos and Vippstars put together. And help which explains things in
    context not just gawping and repeating from the ridiculously over
    referenced "standard" like some love struck teenager repeating her
    boyfriends name. The news group is comp.lang.c. It is for the discussion of
    the C language. The same as all the other comp.lang.LANGUAGE groups.

    Get over it or kill file him.

    Richard, Jan 7, 2009
  19. Speak for yourself. I love every word Han writes.

    And he's certainly got KT's number. In every way...

    Kenny McCormack, Jan 8, 2009
  20. Keith Thompson

    Richard Bos Guest

    Oh, lookee, Heathfield's whipping-boy is back, too. This group really
    does go from strength to strength.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jan 10, 2009