OT: More on my killfile


K

Keith Thompson

The troll "Han from China" has started forging posts under my name. To
prevent a whole lot of confusion on this newsgroup, I urge people here
to killfile the cretin based on one or more of his header lines - Path,
Message-ID, Mail-To-News-Contact, or Organization seem like promising
targets. I realize this now requires that we *really* killfile the idiot.
Please do so instead of pretending to do so.

For the usefulness and integrity of this newsgroup, please do *not*
engage the trolls any further. That means you too, Richard Heathfield.
Jack Klein, Chuck, others: Please do not post plonk messages for this troll
or any of his cohorts. I fear that if you provoke them further, they
may know how to overcome the technical barriers involved and deprive us
of even the above four header lines. I can think of certain bugs in
news servers that I won't mention for fear of giving the trolls ideas.

My worst fear is that the trolls may create a sinister game of some sort.
Perhaps they may remove or start taking into account one header line
for every off-topic post from Richard Heathfield or every mention of the
word "troll" by CBFalconer/Chuck.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Richard

Keith Thompson said:
The troll "Han from China" has started forging posts under my name. To
prevent a whole lot of confusion on this newsgroup, I urge people here
to killfile the cretin based on one or more of his header lines - Path,
Message-ID, Mail-To-News-Contact, or Organization seem like promising
targets. I realize this now requires that we *really* killfile the idiot.
Please do so instead of pretending to do so.

For the usefulness and integrity of this newsgroup, please do *not*
engage the trolls any further. That means you too, Richard Heathfield.
Jack Klein, Chuck, others: Please do not post plonk messages for this troll
or any of his cohorts. I fear that if you provoke them further, they
may know how to overcome the technical barriers involved and deprive us
of even the above four header lines. I can think of certain bugs in
news servers that I won't mention for fear of giving the trolls ideas.

My worst fear is that the trolls may create a sinister game of some sort.
Perhaps they may remove or start taking into account one header line
for every off-topic post from Richard Heathfield or every mention of the
word "troll" by CBFalconer/Chuck.

Is this a forged post too?

If not, then why are you telling sentient people who to killfile? We
can make up our own minds. And if Chuck's painful "I am" behaviour with
his announcements annoy you, killfile him too.

It really is that simple.

No one wants to hear who YOU killfile or who YOU think WE should
killfile.

Grow up man and let others sort out their own threads.
 
K

Keith Thompson

Richard said:
Keith Thompson said:
The troll "Han from China" has started forging posts under my name.
[...]
Is this a forged post too?

Yes, as were the posts claiming that I'm a member of the C standard
committee (I'm not).
 
D

dj3vande

Keith Thompson said:
Richard said:
The troll "Han from China" has started forging posts under my name. [...]
Is this a forged post too?

Yes,

If they have to resort to that - you've won.

Not for useful values of "won".
If the newsgroup stays useful, we win. Otherwise, the trolls win.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put dealing with forged posts on the "more
useful" side.


dave
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Richard

Keith Thompson said:
Richard said:
Keith Thompson said:
The troll "Han from China" has started forging posts under my name.
[...]
Is this a forged post too?

Yes, as were the posts claiming that I'm a member of the C standard
committee (I'm not).

He does them very well, although I should have spotted the organization,
in terms of the wording!
 
A

Antoninus Twink

He does them very well, although I should have spotted the
organization, in terms of the wording!

Yes, it's quite impressive!

I wonder if he really is able to exploit bugs in news servers to fix
/all/ the headers - that would be quite a feat.
 
J

James Kuyper

Keith said:
Richard said:
Keith Thompson said:
The troll "Han from China" has started forging posts under my name.
[...]
Is this a forged post too?

Yes, as were the posts claiming that I'm a member of the C standard
committee (I'm not).

I didn't see those. Probably just as well.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird to monitor usenet newsgroups. It allows me to
set up message filters, but the filters are not sufficiently powerful to
reject these forged messages. It only allows filtering on the From:
Subject: and Date: headers. Could anyone recommend a Linux compatible
newsreader with sufficiently sophisticated filtering capabilities to
handle this?
 
R

Rich Webb

Keith said:
Richard said:
The troll "Han from China" has started forging posts under my name. [...]
Is this a forged post too?

Yes, as were the posts claiming that I'm a member of the C standard
committee (I'm not).

I didn't see those. Probably just as well.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird to monitor usenet newsgroups. It allows me to
set up message filters, but the filters are not sufficiently powerful to
reject these forged messages. It only allows filtering on the From:
Subject: and Date: headers. Could anyone recommend a Linux compatible
newsreader with sufficiently sophisticated filtering capabilities to
handle this?

Your best bet is probably to move one step upstream and install a local
usenet server. That gives you access to all of the header fields (and
message body, of course), allowing filter expressions on fields such as
Path and NNTP-Posting-Host that are not part of the message overview.

http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/ seems to be one possibility for Linux.
Some other pointers at http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html.
 
J

James Kuyper

Rich said:
Keith said:
The troll "Han from China" has started forging posts under my name.
[...]
Is this a forged post too?
Yes, as were the posts claiming that I'm a member of the C standard
committee (I'm not).
I didn't see those. Probably just as well.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird to monitor usenet newsgroups. It allows me to
set up message filters, but the filters are not sufficiently powerful to
reject these forged messages. It only allows filtering on the From:
Subject: and Date: headers. Could anyone recommend a Linux compatible
newsreader with sufficiently sophisticated filtering capabilities to
handle this?

Your best bet is probably to move one step upstream and install a local
usenet server. That gives you access to all of the header fields (and
message body, of course), allowing filter expressions on fields such as
Path and NNTP-Posting-Host that are not part of the message overview.

I've been considering that option for other reasons; I'll take another
look at it.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Richard

Han from China - Master Troll said:
The sticking point is usually the Path field. For an exact match, it's
possible to take advantage of various flaws that are similar (but not
identical) to ones that have plagued sendmail and other MTAs, allowing
spammers to mangle header fields by forced truncation.

But that's not even needed while Keith uses the motzarella news server,
since even a 15-year-old kid can do a complete forgery in that case.
The way they're smugly going on about filters in this thread, it also
makes me want to do it just to prove a point.

I will be posting as Keith, full headers and all, if the "troll" insults
continue (that's what trolls do, right?), and they won't be able to do
jack shit about it unless Keith starts using a signing solution of some
sort, but even then, there will be practical difficulties and
inconveniences and an endless barrage of "that's not Keith!" posts.

Even the amateurish forgeries so far introduce practical difficulties:
Would they really want to have to tell every single OP to check the
headers of "Keith Thompson"? Doesn't seem like "silently ignoring the
trolls" to me.

No, it's about time these socially inept autistic pedants learn people
solutions instead of technical solutions, since in this case, the
technical solutions are very extreme.

All I want is to be able to post here so I can help OPs without being
insulted and attacked by topicality hypocrites such as Chuck or having
to address one of these anti-troll or anti-Han threads every week.
Every person I've attacked or insulted as Han from China attacked or
insulted me first, which is easily demonstrable if anyone wants to try
me on it.

I don't believe Keith has any kind of malicious intent. He's simply
misguided, blinded by loyalty, and chronically unwilling to admit
the problem that is Richard Heathfield. The good news is that others
appear to be seeing through Dicky Heathen's facade. I've been
pleasantly surprised by who's been calling out Heathfield in recent
times.

Yours,
Han from China

I've been away for a while. It's good to see you pick up the gauntlet. I
bow to a superior Clique basher. Your work is good. Just keep it
directed so the group does not collapse. Heathfield might be an
insufferable pompous ass, but he does know his C. Thompson is
fine. Falconer and his lower echelon bunk mate Vippstar need a thorough
grounding in decency and common sense however.
 
C

CBFalconer

James said:
.... snip ...

I use Mozilla Thunderbird to monitor usenet newsgroups. It allows
me to set up message filters, but the filters are not sufficiently
powerful to reject these forged messages. It only allows filtering
on the From: Subject: and Date: headers. Could anyone recommend a
Linux compatible newsreader with sufficiently sophisticated
filtering capabilities to handle this?

Which is quite enough to reliably filter out those trolls. Read
how the system works. Remember that the first filter found true is
used, and all others are dropped (on a particular message).
 
J

jameskuyper

CBFalconer said:
Which is quite enough to reliably filter out those trolls. Read
how the system works. Remember that the first filter found true is
used, and all others are dropped (on a particular message).

How does that help with forged messages? The From:, Subject: and Date:
fields all have unobjectionable and values in those messages. The
clearest indicator seems to be the Message-Id, which is not one of the
ones I can filter on, and I wouldn't put it past him to find some way
to render that indicator useless, also.
 
C

CBFalconer

jameskuyper said:
How does that help with forged messages? The From:, Subject: and Date:
fields all have unobjectionable and values in those messages. The
clearest indicator seems to be the Message-Id, which is not one of the
ones I can filter on, and I wouldn't put it past him to find some way
to render that indicator useless, also.

The problem here is the default server transmission when setting up
your index. I forget the transmission name. It does not include
the MESSAGE-ID header. However, this no longer applies when you
transfer the complete message, and you can then tell the system to
examine it. At least as I see it, I haven't needed to use it yet.

Note: There is a way to get TB to examine that header. Snoop
about.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

George

Richard said:
Keith Thompson said:
[stuff that wasn't really written by Keith]

Is this a forged post too?

Yes, as even a quick look at the headers should have told you.

If you look at alt.test, you can see them working up new material.
--
George

Today we affirm a new commitment to live out our nation's promise through
civility, courage, compassion and character.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top