    Perhaps they may remove or start taking into account one header line
    for every off-topic post from Richard Heathfield or every mention of the
    word "troll" by CBFalconer/Chuck.

    Keith Thompson, Jan 5, 2009

  2. Keith Thompson

    Richard Guest

    Is this a forged post too?

    If not, then why are you telling sentient people who to killfile? We
    can make up our own minds. And if Chuck's painful "I am" behaviour with
    his announcements annoy you, killfile him too.

    It really is that simple.

    No one wants to hear who YOU killfile or who YOU think WE should
    killfile.

    Grow up man and let others sort out their own threads.

    Richard, Jan 5, 2009

  3. Yes, as were the posts claiming that I'm a member of the C standard
    committee (I'm not).

    Keith Thompson, Jan 5, 2009
  4. Yes, as even a quick look at the headers should have told you.

    lawrence.jones, Jan 5, 2009
  5. Keith Thompson

    Phil Carmody Guest

    If they have to resort to that - you've won.

    Phil

    Phil Carmody, Jan 5, 2009
  6. Keith Thompson

    dj3vande Guest

    Not for useful values of "won".
    If the newsgroup stays useful, we win. Otherwise, the trolls win.
    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put dealing with forged posts on the "more
    useful" side.

    dave

    dj3vande, Jan 5, 2009
  7. Keith Thompson

    Richard Guest

    He does them very well, although I should have spotted the organization,
    in terms of the wording!

    Richard, Jan 5, 2009
  8. Yes, it's quite impressive!

    I wonder if he really is able to exploit bugs in news servers to fix
    /all/ the headers - that would be quite a feat.

    Antoninus Twink, Jan 5, 2009
  9. Keith Thompson

    James Kuyper Guest

    I didn't see those. Probably just as well.

    I use Mozilla Thunderbird to monitor usenet newsgroups. It allows me to
    set up message filters, but the filters are not sufficiently powerful to
    reject these forged messages. It only allows filtering on the From:
    Subject: and Date: headers. Could anyone recommend a Linux compatible
    newsreader with sufficiently sophisticated filtering capabilities to
    handle this?

    James Kuyper, Jan 6, 2009
  10. Keith Thompson

    Rich Webb Guest

    Your best bet is probably to move one step upstream and install a local
    usenet server. That gives you access to all of the header fields (and
    message body, of course), allowing filter expressions on fields such as
    Path and NNTP-Posting-Host that are not part of the message overview.

    http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/ seems to be one possibility for Linux.
    Some other pointers at http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html.

    Rich Webb, Jan 6, 2009
  11. Keith Thompson

    James Kuyper Guest

    I've been considering that option for other reasons; I'll take another
    look at it.

    James Kuyper, Jan 6, 2009
  12. Keith Thompson

    Richard Guest

    I've been away for a while. It's good to see you pick up the gauntlet. I
    bow to a superior Clique basher. Your work is good. Just keep it
    directed so the group does not collapse. Heathfield might be an
    insufferable pompous ass, but he does know his C. Thompson is
    fine. Falconer and his lower echelon bunk mate Vippstar need a thorough
    grounding in decency and common sense however.

    Richard, Jan 6, 2009
  13. Keith Thompson

    Richard Bos Guest

    Maybe he has, but the newsgroup's lost. Then again, that happened long
    ago.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jan 6, 2009
  14. Keith Thompson

    CBFalconer Guest

    Which is quite enough to reliably filter out those trolls. Read
    how the system works. Remember that the first filter found true is
    used, and all others are dropped (on a particular message).

    CBFalconer, Jan 6, 2009
  15. Keith Thompson

    jameskuyper Guest

    How does that help with forged messages? The From:, Subject: and Date:
    fields all have unobjectionable and values in those messages. The
    clearest indicator seems to be the Message-Id, which is not one of the
    ones I can filter on, and I wouldn't put it past him to find some way
    to render that indicator useless, also.

    jameskuyper, Jan 6, 2009
  16. Keith Thompson

    CBFalconer Guest

    The problem here is the default server transmission when setting up
    your index. I forget the transmission name. It does not include
    the MESSAGE-ID header. However, this no longer applies when you
    transfer the complete message, and you can then tell the system to
    examine it. At least as I see it, I haven't needed to use it yet.

    Note: There is a way to get TB to examine that header. Snoop
    about.

    CBFalconer, Jan 6, 2009
  17. Keith Thompson

    George Guest

    If you look at alt.test, you can see them working up new material.
    --
    George

    Today we affirm a new commitment to live out our nation's promise through
    civility, courage, compassion and character.
    George W. Bush

    Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

    George, Jan 15, 2009