Re: "C Unleashed" OCR PDF on RapidShare, MegaUpload, P2P, etc.

Larry Gates

Hello,

I'm writing to inform that "C Unleashed" will be scanned and dumped
on RapidShare, MegaUpload, P2P, etc., if Richard Heathfield continues
posting non-C-related drivel and attacking other people on this
newsgroup. If Richard Heathfield simply learns to use a killfile
and shuts the hell up instead of trashing comp.lang.c with his
provocative posts, no dumping will occur.

Doing so will have a couple of purposes: One, people can easily
verify the code listings revealed in my "More Schildt-like errors
in Dicky Heathen's book" series themselves and not have to worry
about Heathfield's obfuscation, denials, and Schildt-like display
of intellectual integrity; two, by including a list of the errors
I've posted, I believe there's a chance I could be doing a positive
thing for the C community if the information spreads -- certainly
more positive than Heathfield's "I'll update my errata with
your finds if I happen to like you" approach to technical
authorship.

Yours,
Han from China

That download will be legal for those of us who already own it. It could
actually help the errata to have a form that can be electronically editted.

Keith Thompson

Larry Gates said:
[SNIP]
That download will be legal for those of us who already own it. It could
actually help the errata to have a form that can be electronically editted.

*Please* don't encourage him.

Zach

Larry Gates said:

This is bizarre. He's already in my killfile - he's just too stupid
to realise it. See below.

This, too, is bizarre. I'll update my errata with *any* legitimate
bug report I receive, if it's the first such notification of that
bug. All the finder has to do is communicate with me. The first
person to notify me of the bug that was recently discussed here
(which is presumably the one he's upset about, poor baby) was Jacob
Navia. I was aware of rumours about a bug before that, but that was
all they were - rumours, apparently based on the ramblings of a
troll. I don't have time to check out all troll-ramblings,
especially the ramblings of trolls who have a pathological
obsession with inventing any crap they like about me personally -
so I ignored these rumours. If you were the target, you'd ignore
them too - even at the potential cost of a missed bug report.
That download will be legal for those of us who already own it.

Not in the UK, as far as I'm aware. Please remember that copyright
law is /not/ the same the world over.

Anyway, if it happens, I'll inform the publisher and that will be
the end of it as far as I'm concerned. The book has been out of
print for a year or two now, so it's not as if the release will
cause me any great financial loss. The publisher is far more likely
to be annoyed than I am.

The threat is futile, in any case. He is trying to suppress freedom
of expression (he will refrain from performing this criminal action
"if [RH] ... shuts the hell up ..."), and it simply won't work. I'm
not easily cowed.
It could actually help the errata to have a form that can be
electronically editted.

If the book could be electronically edited (e.g. if it were a Web
site rather than a book), I wouldn't need errata in the first
place!

Email: -http://www. +rjh@

Richard how may I purchase a copy of your book? You say it is out of
print.

Zach

santosh

Zach said:
On Jan 21, 2:44 am, Richard Heathfield <[email protected]> wrote:

[about C Unleashed]
[ ... ] The book has been out of
print for a year or two now, so it's not as if the release will
cause me any great financial loss. The publisher is far more likely
to be annoyed than I am.

Richard how may I purchase a copy of your book? You say it is out of
print.

Amazon and other book sellers have used copies for sale.

<http://www.amazon.com/C-Unleashed-Richard-Heathfield/dp/0672318962>

Apparently, electronic versions are available for purchase too.

Rafael

Keith Thompson escreveu:
santosh said:
Zach wrote: [...]
Richard how may I purchase a copy of your book? You say it is out of
print.
Amazon and other book sellers have used copies for sale.

<http://www.amazon.com/C-Unleashed-Richard-Heathfield/dp/0672318962>

Apparently, electronic versions are available for purchase too.

As far as I know, no electronic versions are *legally* available.
http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin/item/0768657075/C-Unleashed-eBook.html

santosh

Keith said:
santosh said:
Zach wrote: [...]
Richard how may I purchase a copy of your book? You say it is out of
print.

Amazon and other book sellers have used copies for sale.

<http://www.amazon.com/C-Unleashed-Richard-Heathfield/dp/0672318962>

Apparently, electronic versions are available for purchase too.

As far as I know, no electronic versions are *legally* available.

Oh! There seem to be quite a few sites that sell electronic versions of
the book. Two leading Google hits are:

<http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin/item/0768657075/C-Unleashed-eBook.html>
<http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0768657075>

If they are indeed illegal then maybe someone (Richard?) would want to
report their existence to the publisher.

Keith Thompson

santosh said:
Keith said:
santosh said:
Zach wrote: [...]
Richard how may I purchase a copy of your book? You say it is out of
print.

Amazon and other book sellers have used copies for sale.

<http://www.amazon.com/C-Unleashed-Richard-Heathfield/dp/0672318962>

Apparently, electronic versions are available for purchase too.

As far as I know, no electronic versions are *legally* available.

Oh! There seem to be quite a few sites that sell electronic versions of
the book. Two leading Google hits are:

<http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin/item/0768657075/C-Unleashed-eBook.html>
<http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0768657075>

If they are indeed illegal then maybe someone (Richard?) would want to
report their existence to the publisher.

Ah, I didn't know about those. Both sites appear to be legitimate.
In both cases, the download is in PDF format with DRM, and apparently
the necessary plugins aren't available for Linux. In addition, the
contents of the associated CD-ROM aren't provided, and I've seen used
dead-tree copies for less money than they're charging.

Richard

santosh said:
Keith said:
santosh said:
Zach wrote: [...]
Richard how may I purchase a copy of your book? You say it is out of
print.

Amazon and other book sellers have used copies for sale.

<http://www.amazon.com/C-Unleashed-Richard-Heathfield/dp/0672318962>

Apparently, electronic versions are available for purchase too.

As far as I know, no electronic versions are *legally* available.

Oh! There seem to be quite a few sites that sell electronic versions of
the book. Two leading Google hits are:

<http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin/item/0768657075/C-Unleashed-eBook.html>
<http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0768657075>

If they are indeed illegal then maybe someone (Richard?) would want to
report their existence to the publisher.

Is there a free copy anywhere?

Rui Maciel

Larry said:
That download will be legal for those of us who already own it.  It could
actually help the errata to have a form that can be electronically
editted.

Some jurisdictions that are covered by copyright law that follows the french copyright tradition also make it legal to download it regardless of any authorization by the copyright holder. It's perfectly legal as long as it is strictly for personal use and
the distributor isn't making money out of it. So, some of us may download it without any fear of any silly "you wouldn't download a car" or "downloading is stealing" copyright boogie man nonsense.

Rui Maciel

Martin Ambuhl

Rui said:
So, some of us may download it without any fear of any silly "you wouldn't download a car" or "downloading is stealing" copyright boogie man nonsense.

Written like a man who never lived by his ability to create anything.

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre said:
Richard said:
The threat is futile, in any case. He is trying to suppress freedom
of expression (he will refrain from performing this criminal action
"if [RH] ... shuts the hell up ..."), and it simply won't work. I'm
not easily cowed.

Mind you, if he really has scanned a 1300 page book just to annoy you,
he probably deserves a medal for effort - and commmittal for monomania.

He deserves nothing. If someone behaves like a jerk, I don't care how
difficult it was.

CBFalconer

Keith said:
Mark McIntyre said:
Richard said:
The threat is futile, in any case. He is trying to suppress freedom
of expression (he will refrain from performing this criminal action
"if [RH] ... shuts the hell up ..."), and it simply won't work. I'm
not easily cowed.

Mind you, if he really has scanned a 1300 page book just to annoy you,
he probably deserves a medal for effort - and commmittal for monomania.

He deserves nothing. If someone behaves like a jerk, I don't care how
difficult it was.

Oh come now. Surely he deserves committal?

Martin Ambuhl

Rui said:
Could you please explain that?

(Of course he stupidly snipped away the context)

Anyone who really lived by creating anything would know that
> "downloading is stealing" copyright boogie man nonsense.
is nothing but the excuse of a thief: "I have a right to steal what you
have created, and don't call my theft what it is."

Antoninus Twink

Anyone who really lived by creating anything would know that
is nothing but the excuse of a thief: "I have a right to steal what
you have created, and don't call my theft what it is."

Except, of course, that downloading a book and reading it is essentially
no different to reading it in a public library, and no one calls library
users thieves.

Joachim Schmitz

Antoninus said:
Except, of course, that downloading a book and reading it is
essentially no different to reading it in a public library, and no
one calls library users thieves.

Of course there is a difference. It is not the reading that is illegal and a
copyright violation, but the copying, much the same as if you'd steel if
from the library.

Bye, Jojo

Antoninus Twink

The other point is that the library will have bought the book, and
used your tax to do it. So you've legally paid for the right to share
a copy with the other library users.

Suppose a library of which I'm a member has bought a copy.

Now here are two scenarios:
1) I go to the library and read the book
2) I download the book and read it at home

In both cases, the results are:
1) I've read the book
2) I haven't paid any money to do so

The only difference is that in the second case I haven't had to go out
in the cold and dump a gallon's pollution into the atmosphere. As the
zealots here might put it, "the difference can't be detected by a
conforming publisher, so the as-if rule applies"...

santosh

Antoninus said:
Suppose a library of which I'm a member has bought a copy.

Now here are two scenarios:
1) I go to the library and read the book
2) I download the book and read it at home

In both cases, the results are:
1) I've read the book
2) I haven't paid any money to do so

The difference is with the library book, you have no power to
redistribute copies to others (you *could* , but you might as well buy
the book itself), but in the case of an electronic book, you can
potentially distribute it to innumerable other people.

This is what has the publishers so worried, and rightly so, to an
extent.

orderPeak8CBDGummies