[OT] Company Standards

Ryan Stewart

I'm curious how many people out there work for or know of companies which
dictate that all their programmers will use a certain IDE or tool set. What
other kinds of things do they standardize?

Oscar kind

Ryan Stewart said:
I'm curious how many people out there work for or know of companies which
dictate that all their programmers will use a certain IDE or tool set. What
other kinds of things do they standardize?

Where I work, the IDE is not standardized (if only because the person
making the decisions prefers vi). Some things are standardized though:
- The use of a specific UML design tool (if only because most have their
own file format)
- Code layout (only that it must be uniform within each project)
- ANT, because manual builds are too error-prone
- Documentation, although the form is not fully mandated

Thomas Weidenfeller

Oscar said:
Where I work, the IDE is not standardized (if only because the person
making the decisions prefers vi). Some things are standardized though:
- The use of a specific UML design tool (if only because most have their
own file format)
- Code layout (only that it must be uniform within each project)
- ANT, because manual builds are too error-prone
- Documentation, although the form is not fully mandated

No version control system?

/Thomas

Malte

Ryan said:
I'm curious how many people out there work for or know of companies which
dictate that all their programmers will use a certain IDE or tool set. What
other kinds of things do they standardize?
Visual Source Safe :-(

I prefer CVS, but there you have it.

Antti S. Brax

No version control system?

Since the original question did not specifically ask for a
version control system it is incorrect to assume that the
failure to mention one implies that one is not used.

But here I go, tools dictated by my employer are:
- Ant
- JUnit
- CVS

Oscar kind

Thomas Weidenfeller said:
No version control system?

Not as a full standard. CVS is used exclusively and consistently for all
our internal projects. But if we team up with another company to produce a
joint effort, there is no standard.

Phil Staite

Ryan said:
I'm curious how many people out there work for or know of companies which
dictate that all their programmers will use a certain IDE or tool set. What
other kinds of things do they standardize?

We code in a Unix environment. We have several editors available, and
several debuggers. However, one compiler - so that all modules are
compatible. One source code control system, one defect tracking system.
There are also coding standards for C++ and Java. These ensure (or
try to) that less experienced programmers don't fall into some common
pitfalls. They also ensure some uniformity in the coding for
readability and understanding. This is because the codebase is so big
we're always moving around in it some - no-one stays on his/her own
little piece too long.