OT - Malware experience

Ben C

Ben C wrote: [...]
Just to squash a couple of rumours right here, Flash runs perfectly well
on Linux (but is also fortunately quite easy to disable) and so do
websites like MySpace and YouTube.

You install it by putting a CD in the drive and clicking on a few
buttons labelled things like "Yes" and off you go. Just as easy to use
as Windows, but you get a lot more software with the default
installation.

I actually had to go get a cup of coffee while some non-FOSS goodies
downloaded, since mine was not on CD.

It depends on the distribution of course, some already have non-FOSS
stuff in them and pop up licence agreements you have to agree to.
But I will second that: Flash works perfectly, MySpace and YouTube also
work perfectly. I also have a nice free Flash authoring tool. With
whom *do* these rumors get started?

Sometimes I think from people who last tried Linux since about Red Hat
3.0. The rate of change is much faster than what Windows users are used
to.

Travis Newbury

Just to squash a couple of rumours right here, Flash runs perfectly well
on Linux (but is also fortunately quite easy to disable) and so do
websites like MySpace and YouTube.

You install it by putting a CD in the drive and clicking on a few
buttons labelled things like "Yes" and off you go. Just as easy to use
as Windows, but you get a lot more software with the default
installation.

My parents are not going to install it. My parents will use windows
because that is what they always used, and that is what comes with the
computer.

Travis Newbury

I actually had to go get a cup of coffee while some non-FOSS goodies
downloaded, since mine was not on CD.

But I will second that: Flash works perfectly, MySpace and YouTube also
work perfectly. I also have a nice free Flash authoring tool. With
whom *do* these rumors get started?

Space girl started these evil rumors.... STONE HER!!!!

Hell.... stone me....

Ben C

On 2007-07-12 said:
My parents are not going to install it. My parents will use windows
because that is what they always used, and that is what comes with the
computer.

Mine have learned that if they want tech support from me they use what I
tell them to use.

Animesh K

Arne said:
And how many other computers was infected by the daughter's computer?

There should be a law against unprotected computers and computers who
infect others! ;)

Then Microsoft's computer shall be the first one to take the blame. Or
the virus-generator's computer. Don't kid.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:37:59
GMT Travis Newbury scribed:
Space girl started these evil rumors.... STONE HER!!!!

Hell.... stone me....

Eh? I thought you were stoned...

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:37:05
GMT Travis Newbury scribed:
My parents are not going to install it. My parents will use windows
because that is what they always used, and that is what comes with the
computer.

Parents need to be trained. -With TLC, of course.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:37:59
GMT Travis Newbury scribed:

Eh? I thought you were stoned...

Everybody must get stoned.

CptDondo

Travis said:
My parents are not going to install it. My parents will use windows
because that is what they always used, and that is what comes with the
computer.

If you give them a computer with linux installed, I bet they won't
notice a difference.

I've tried this with a few people; most really don't care beyond
surfing, email, and text editing.

So linux works just fine.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Have you even the slightest clue of how kids actually use machines?

Yes. My grandaughter has been using GNU/Linux for years. She
doesn't have Widoes on her computer.
A linux machine would be pretty much the least ideal platform, given
the lack of proper flash, games etc.

It does have flash 9; it does have games.
I think the very first time she realises she can no longer use her
bebo or myspace or youtube pages she'd be back on Windows.

I don't know what bebo is, but the others can be used just as well
with Linux.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Bernhard Sturm
if the computer was that infected, are you sure you have no rootkits
sitting on it? I know that most spyware-removal-tools and scanners are
not able to detected sophisticated rootkits (such as the infamous
BMG-sony-rootkit). Sometimes it's just best practice to wipe the HD
and make a clean install when you have encountered such a 'victim'.

cheers
bernhard

There are probably rootkits sitting on it that I'll have to go back later
and fix. For now, she's okay, and with the other files I installed, and
strict instructions not to use IE or go anywhere strange, she should be
okay for a while.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
Then I told them that IE was off limits.
Three days to fix this. Scarey.

As soon as another browser becomes the most popular you will be saying
"Then I told them that [browser name] is off limits." Being #1 has
its bad side too.

Yup, and I'll be saying - use IE - Firefox is off limits.

Toby A Inkster

SpaceGirl said:
Have you even the slightest clue of how kids actually use machines? A
linux machine would be pretty much the least ideal platform, given the
lack of proper flash, games etc. I think the very first time she
realises she can no longer use her bebo or myspace or youtube pages
she'd be back on Windows.

Flash 9 is available for Linux. It came a little later than the Windows
version, but it arrived eventually. (Flash 8 for Linux didn't exist, so we
were stuck on 7 for a while, which was a little annoying.)

YouTube works fine here. Sadly, so does MySpace. Not sure about Bebo --
never visited it.

As for games, Transgaming Cedega makes it possible to play most of the
popular Windows games on Linux. (Cedega is a commerical version of the open
source Windows compatibility layer WINE, which forked off before WINE
became GPL.) A Cedega subscription costs £3 per month, with a minimum
subscription period of 3 months. That's a drop in the ocean compared to
the cost of most games these days!

Some would argue that the experience of playing a Windows game through
Cedega is preferable to playing it natively. While many games in Windows
forcibly take over your entire screen, Cedega allows you to play them in a
window. Although it's unlikely you'd want to use this to work on your
business accounts spreadsheet while in the middle of Doom 3, it might be
useful to look up hints and tips on the web while playing.

And yes, Mir:
http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3518

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 22 days, 12:10.]

demiblog 0.2.0 Released
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/06/28/demiblog-0.2.0/

Travis Newbury

If you give them a computer with linux installed, I bet they won't
notice a difference.

You are probably right. If it were not for the money I have invested
in Windows software I might even take a shot at *nix. But alas, I can
not. And you know to tell you the truth, I really don't have a
problem with windows. It has always run well for me, I have AVG virus
checker running, and I use FF. Windows has worked fine for me (and
apparently millions of others) so I see no need to change right now.

It is all a matter of personal preference. Each OS, has its good and
bad side.

Travis Newbury

It does have flash 9; it does have games.

It doesn't have all the new games. The last time I was in a Best Buy,
or Circuit City I notices a plethora of Windows based games, and a few
obscure titles in the the Mac and Linux section. So it may well have
games, but does it have the games all your buds are playing?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:30:53 GMT
Blinky the Shark scribed:
Everybody must get stoned.

I wonder... If being stoned was one's normal state, would getting straight
seem like a high?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:32:20 GMT
Travis Newbury scribed:
It's been a little dry around here for a while...

What we need are more characters. -Like Luigi. Wouldn't hurt having a
dolphin or two, too, to keep Blinky from getting complacent.

Travis Newbury

What we need are more characters. -Like Luigi. Wouldn't hurt having a
dolphin or two, too, to keep Blinky from getting complacent.

I remember a few interesting characters. There was a fellow named
"Chip" that did Christmas stories that was always interesting, a "Dan"
from Spain that was kind of fun. I remember he was a JavaScript
hater, but all his sites were packed with essencial JavaScript. (I
actually wrote him and asked why he did not follow his own philosophy
in his professional sites, he said becasuse he had a family to feed.)
And of course there was brucie (may he rest in peace)