    Also, Plauger and Brodie's "Standard C A Reference Manual" was not
    only supplied with a copy on floppy, but explicit permission was
    granted to make it accessible on networks, including the web.

    Alan Balmer, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Peetah_junkmail

    Alan Balmer Guest

    One could also say that Sams is not exactly
    an internationally renowned name in the same league as Baen Books.

    They can both be considered internationally renowned, but are not in
    the same league.

    Alan Balmer, Feb 28, 2005

  3. Only by distorting the english language...
    I've never heard of Baen Books before this posting. I've never seen a book
    published by them. And I /do/ own a vast library of scifi and fantasy :)

    Mark McIntyre, Feb 28, 2005
  4. <WAY_OT>
    Baen Books is a major publisher of SF and fantasy. If you own a vast
    library of SF and fantasy, I'd be astonished if you didn't have some
    books published by Baen. You might want to check.
    </WAY_OT>

    Keith Thompson, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Peetah_junkmail

    kevin.bagust Guest

    <WAY_OT>
    Baen Books is a major *American* publisher of SF and fantasy. Up to a few
    years ago it was very differcult to get their books over this side of the
    pond. It is still very hit and miss on what books you can find in a book
    shop. Most of my Baen Books have been ordered from Amazon. As Mark is a
    Scot it is not really surprising that he does not have any.

    </WAY_OT>

    Kevin.

    kevin.bagust, Feb 28, 2005
  6. Peetah_junkmail

    Alan Balmer Guest

    Sorry about that - you should get some ;-)

    I do find it rather amazing that an SF fan never heard of them.

    Jim Baen has been in the SF business since the 60's (editor of Galaxy
    and If, among other things), and his publishing company was started in
    1983.

    Alan Balmer, Feb 28, 2005
  7. The implication being that Sams are somehow at par with, say, Oxford
    University Press?

    Allin Cottrell

    Allin Cottrell, Mar 1, 2005
  8. Peetah_junkmail

    Richard Bos Guest

    No; with Noah Webster.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Mar 1, 2005
  9. I checked. Nary a one.
    I've been collecting since I was eight, takes up several shelves. Perhaps
    Baen are a US-only publisher.

    Mark McIntyre, Mar 1, 2005
  10. *shrug*. There's probably UK publishers you've never heard of either.
    I'm not even sure that Galaxy or If were available in the UK. FWIW my
    memory is that US and UK sci fi were very separate namespaces until the
    Invasion of Hollywood in the late sixties.

    Mark McIntyre, Mar 1, 2005
  11. Alan's comment was a fine example of politspeak, rewording a fact to cast a
    seemingly negative light upon a positive fact.

    Clearly if Sams and Baen are in different leagues, then each must
    necessarily not be in the same league as the other.

    Remind me: what was the C quesstion?

    Mark McIntyre, Mar 1, 2005
  12. Peetah_junkmail

    nm Guest

    Oh, I see, to post off topic, it's polite to use a fancy XML tag. Hrm.
    Of course, since I'm posting about whether or not something is on
    topic, I don't have to use those tags. At least, no one else does.

    nm, Mar 5, 2005
  13. FYI, Topicality is definitionally topical.

    Mark McIntyre, Mar 5, 2005
  14. Peetah_junkmail

    Joe Wright Guest

    I thought only Americans could make up words like that. :)

    Joe Wright, Mar 5, 2005
  15. Peetah_junkmail

    CBFalconer Guest

    Nah, Scots have been allowed to join in the game since Bannockburn.

    CBFalconer, Mar 5, 2005
  16. in comp.lang.c i read:
    really? perhaps your newsreader is broken.

    those who know me have no need of my name, Mar 6, 2005