[OT] pdf version of C unleashed ?

Alan Balmer

Actually making such versions freely available seems to be good
business for some. See:

<http://www.baen.com/library/>

I suspect that attaching a CDR to each book, with the full
contents, would not harm sales. In fact, it might enhance them for
such people as peetah. People who want paper will still want
paper, and may even be encouraged to get it by reading from a pdf
or ps or html version. The html version would be preferred, since
it is easily searched with text utilities, and is most adaptive to
screen and paper sizes. The minor disadvantage (not present with a
CDR version) is that pictures and diagrams have to be separate
files. See how baen does it.

Also, Plauger and Brodie's "Standard C A Reference Manual" was not
only supplied with a copy on floppy, but explicit permission was
granted to make it accessible on networks, including the web.

Alan Balmer

On the other hand, with all due respect to them, Baen Books are not exactly
an internationally reknowned name in the same league as Sams.

One could also say that Sams is not exactly
an internationally renowned name in the same league as Baen Books.

They can both be considered internationally renowned, but are not in
the same league.

Mark McIntyre

One could also say that Sams is not exactly
an internationally renowned name in the same league as Baen Books.

Only by distorting the english language...
They can both be considered internationally renowned, but are not in
the same league.

I've never heard of Baen Books before this posting. I've never seen a book
published by them. And I /do/ own a vast library of scifi and fantasy :)

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre said:
Only by distorting the english language...

I've never heard of Baen Books before this posting. I've never seen a book
published by them. And I /do/ own a vast library of scifi and fantasy :)

<WAY_OT>
Baen Books is a major publisher of SF and fantasy. If you own a vast
library of SF and fantasy, I'd be astonished if you didn't have some
books published by Baen. You might want to check.
</WAY_OT>

kevin.bagust

<WAY_OT>
Baen Books is a major publisher of SF and fantasy. If you own a vast
library of SF and fantasy, I'd be astonished if you didn't have some
books published by Baen. You might want to check.
</WAY_OT>

<WAY_OT>
Baen Books is a major *American* publisher of SF and fantasy. Up to a few
years ago it was very differcult to get their books over this side of the
pond. It is still very hit and miss on what books you can find in a book
shop. Most of my Baen Books have been ordered from Amazon. As Mark is a
Scot it is not really surprising that he does not have any.

</WAY_OT>

Kevin.

Alan Balmer

Only by distorting the english language...

I've never heard of Baen Books before this posting. I've never seen a book
published by them. And I /do/ own a vast library of scifi and fantasy :)

Sorry about that - you should get some ;-)

I do find it rather amazing that an SF fan never heard of them.

Jim Baen has been in the SF business since the 60's (editor of Galaxy
and If, among other things), and his publishing company was started in
1983.

Allin Cottrell

Mark said:
Only by distorting the english language...

The implication being that Sams are somehow at par with, say, Oxford
University Press?

Allin Cottrell

Mark McIntyre

<WAY_OT>
Baen Books is a major publisher of SF and fantasy. If you own a vast
library of SF and fantasy, I'd be astonished if you didn't have some
books published by Baen. You might want to check.

I checked. Nary a one.
I've been collecting since I was eight, takes up several shelves. Perhaps
Baen are a US-only publisher.

Mark McIntyre

I do find it rather amazing that an SF fan never heard of them.

*shrug*. There's probably UK publishers you've never heard of either.
Jim Baen has been in the SF business since the 60's (editor of Galaxy
and If, among other things), and his publishing company was started in
1983.

I'm not even sure that Galaxy or If were available in the UK. FWIW my
memory is that US and UK sci fi were very separate namespaces until the
Invasion of Hollywood in the late sixties.

Mark McIntyre

The implication being that Sams are somehow at par with, say, Oxford
University Press?

Alan's comment was a fine example of politspeak, rewording a fact to cast a
seemingly negative light upon a positive fact.

Clearly if Sams and Baen are in different leagues, then each must
necessarily not be in the same league as the other.

Remind me: what was the C quesstion?

nm

Mark said:
I checked. Nary a one.
I've been collecting since I was eight, takes up several shelves. Perhaps
Baen are a US-only publisher.

Oh, I see, to post off topic, it's polite to use a fancy XML tag. Hrm.
Of course, since I'm posting about whether or not something is on
topic, I don't have to use those tags. At least, no one else does.

Mark McIntyre

Of course, since I'm posting about whether or not something is on
topic, I don't have to use those tags. At least, no one else does.

FYI, Topicality is definitionally topical.

CBFalconer

Joe said:
Mark McIntyre wrote:
.... snip ...

I thought only Americans could make up words like that. :)

Nah, Scots have been allowed to join in the game since Bannockburn.

in comp.lang.c i read:
I'm not sure what has happened to Richard Heathfield. I miss his
contributions to c.l.c.

really? perhaps your newsreader is broken.