[OT] Perl to C Converter?

Alan Connor

Package: htmldoc
Section: web
Installed-Size: 1508
Maintainer: Jeff Licquia <[email protected]>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.8.14-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7), libfltk1, libjpeg62, libpng2 (>= 1.0.12), xlibs (>>
4.1.0), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.3)
Filename: pool/main/h/htmldoc/htmldoc_1.8.14-1_i386.deb
Size: 854002
MD5sum: 6d393d0d1dbe2a9041b7df243d8ef2ed
HTMLDOC is a program for writing documentation in HTML and producing
indexed HTML, PostScript, or PDF output (with tables of contents).
It supports most HTML 3.2 and some HTML 4.0 syntax, as well as GIF,
JPEG, and PNG images.

That sure does look promising, Rob. Thanks.

I thought I had searched /var/lib/dpkg/available thoroughly, but there
it was...

<slaps head>

<ouch>

:)

Will let you know how it works on my simple HTML.

Right out of the box, it works very well.

Thanks again, Robert.

Let's see: Su to root and run apt-get install htmldoc.

I can handle that.

AC
Keith: I didn't read your latest post to me. Duh.

(Sure are a lot of stupid people on the Usenet: They post something
abusive and then think that you are just going to go on reading
whatever they post after that...Sheeeesh!)

AC

Joe Smith

Alan said:
Huh? Most of the perl groups are dead. Millions of gigabytes of hdd
space could be saved, as well as all the other system resources that
perl requires.

Such a program would be used extensively.

You can't be serious. That makes no sense at all. Do you hate Perl
that much?
Okay. Thanks.

But why would they have "done similar" if such an effort has "insufficient
payoff"?

Read the docs. "Done similar" = convince perl to output bytecodes
instead of executing them, and then running the bytecodes through
a perl-runtime-bytecode interpreter.
-Joe

Alan Connor

You can't be serious.

About what? Most of the perl groups *are* dead. Check it out yourself.

Vast amounts of hdd space and other system resources (and thus energy,
for manufacturing and transportation and operation) *could* be saved.
That makes no sense at all.

It makes a *lot* of sense.
Do you hate Perl
that much?

Who said I hate perl? *You* said that. It's just redundant: C or
bash can do everything that perl does with a fraction of the system
resources. I like efficiency and versatility.

I don't like having to learn a redundant programming language that
takes more system resources than I need to run a complete nix OS.
Read the docs. "Done similar" = convince perl to output bytecodes
instead of executing them, and then running the bytecodes through
a perl-runtime-bytecode interpreter.
-Joe

I have been reading about that feature, here and on the Web. Want a bunch
of un-decipherable code that doesn't execute?

AC

Keith Thompson

The Perl newsgroups are hardly dead. The comp.lang.perl.announce and
comp.lang.perl.moderated groups have moderate traffic, typical of
moderated groups, and comp.lang.perl.misc has heavy traffic,
comparable to comp.lang.c. Traffic on comp.lang.perl, to which this
thread is cross-posted, is relatively light; my understanding is that
comp.lang.perl is obsolete, superseded by the comp.lang.perl.* groups.

I mention this just in case anyone takes Mr. Connor's comments
seriously.

Mr. Connor also seems to be under the mistaken impression that I care
whether he reads my articles.

Anyone who might want to engage Mr. Connor in conversation might
consider a groups.google.com search for his previous articles. He
makes the case far better than I could.

Joe Smith

Alan said:
About what? Most of the perl groups *are* dead. Check it out yourself.

comp.lang.perl = 1853 articles retained on the newserver I frequent
comp.lang.perl.misc = 1564 articles
Vast amounts of hdd space and other system resources (and thus energy,

Words fail me.
It's just redundant: C or
bash can do everything that perl does with a fraction of the system
resources. I like efficiency and versatility.

C and bash cannot do everything that perl does with the same
amount of effort. It's a pity you've not learned the true power of Perl.
-Joe

Kenny McCormack

Keith Thompson said:
Anyone who might want to engage Mr. Connor in conversation might
consider a groups.google.com search for his previous articles. He
makes the case far better than I could.

Anyone who might want to engage Mr. Connor in conversation needs to have
his head examined.

Trying going to google and typing in "netkook alan connor" and start reading.

Alan Connor

comp.lang.perl = 1853 articles retained on the newserver I frequent
comp.lang.perl.misc = 1564 articles

japan.comp.lang.perl! 1-79
perl.64bit! 1-11
perl.qpsmtpd! 1-196
perl.ok! 1-2
perl.riscos! 1-17
perl.perl6.language.io! 1
perl.bootstrap! 1
perl.release-announce! 1
perl.copenhagen! 1-128
perl.bugmongers! 1
perl.macperl.toolbox! 1-14
perl.perl6.language.mlc! 1
perl.perl6.internals.unicode! 1
perl.tips! 1-2
perl.perlfaq.workers! 1-40
perl.macperl.anyperl! 1-27
perl.perl6.language.regex! 1
perl.mvs! 1-66
perl.perl5.build! 1-13
perl.recdescent! 1-37
perl.cpan.interface! 1-3
perl.perl6.language.errors! 1
perl.perl6.internals.api.parser! 1
perl.cvs.pdp! 1-2
perl.qa! 1-169
perl.perl6.source.control! 1
perl.qa.metrics! 1-2
perl.books.workers! 1
perl.perl6.stdlib! 1
perl.daily-build! 1-135
perl.cvs.perlfaq! 1-39
perl.libnet! 1-10
novell.devsup.perl! 1-4
perl.ithreads! 1-138
perl.perl1.porters! 1-6
perl.perl6.documentation! 1-3
perl.loop! 1-20
perl.i18n! 1-32
perl.perl6.internals.bignum! 1
perl.perl6.build! 1
perl.perl6.language.data! 1
perl.qa.cvs! 1
perl.perl6.licenses! 1-2
perl.golf! 1-215
perl.foundation.newsletter! 1
perl.perl6.language.subs! 1
perl.p5ee! 1-127
perl.cvs.mod_parrot! 1
perl.sdk! 1-2
perl.macperl.announce! 1
perl.dbi.oracle-oci! 1-21
perl.dbi.dev! 1-681
perl.daily.news! 1-181
perl.fwp! 1-412
perl.macperl.forum! 1
perl.perl5.changes.mac! 1-20
perl.dbi.announce! 1-4
perl.dist! 1-9
perl.inline! 1-420
perl.poe! 1-294
perl.rtos! 1-2
perl.libwww! 1-529
perl.perl6.internals.api.embed! 1
perl.perl6.language.flow! 1

Words fail me.

Doesn't surprise me.
C and bash cannot do everything that perl does with the same
amount of effort.

They can do a lot more with only a little more effort.

Simple extensions for C and a couple of little libraries for bash
and you are there.

Perl is like the GUI: It makes simple things easy and hard things impossibly
hard and limits your choices.

Beware of yuppies bearing gifts.
It's a pity you've not learned the true power of Perl.
-Joe

It's a good thing I have.

I hope your dick is stiffer than perl's.

AC

Jürgen Exner

Alan said:
About what? Most of the perl groups *are* dead. Check it out yourself.

Really? Well, let's see (already filtered with my personal kill file, so the
actual numbers will be somewhat higher):

comp.lang.perl: about 130 articles within the last 3 months. For a zombie
quite lively (comp.lang.perl as a NG has been superseeded by the
comp.lang.perl.* hierarchie many years ago)
comp.lang.perl.announce: about 60 articles within the last 3 months; seems
appropriate for an announce NG
comp.lang.perl.misc: about 2300 within the last 3 months
comp.lang.perl.moderated: about 70 in the last 3 months
comp.lang.perl.modules: about 650 in the last 3 months

I fail to see how any of those NGs, even the one that is supposed to be
dead, could be considered dead...
Mind to explain why you consider these NGs to be dead?

jue