[OT?] Upgrade Eclipse from 3.0.2 to 3.1.1?

Rhino

I'm getting behind with Eclipse and would like to upgrade from my current
version, 3.0.2, to the newest stable version, 3.1.1.

Unfortunately, it's been so long since I upgraded from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 that I
can't remember the process for upgrading! I thought I went into
Help/Software Updates/[something?] but can't remember more than that;
everything I try under Help/Software Updates fails to find any newer
versions of Eclipse Platform. All I was able to find was a newer level of
one of my plugins.

Can someone kindly remind me of the upgrade process for going from 3.0.2 ->
3.1.1?

I'm prepared to download 3.1.1 from the Eclipse site and install it parallel
to 3.0.2 the way I used to Version 2.0.x of Eclipse but I thought that sort
of thing wasn't necessary any more....

IchBin

Rhino said:
I'm getting behind with Eclipse and would like to upgrade from my current
version, 3.0.2, to the newest stable version, 3.1.1.

Unfortunately, it's been so long since I upgraded from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 that I
can't remember the process for upgrading! I thought I went into
Help/Software Updates/[something?] but can't remember more than that;
everything I try under Help/Software Updates fails to find any newer
versions of Eclipse Platform. All I was able to find was a newer level of
one of my plugins.

Can someone kindly remind me of the upgrade process for going from 3.0.2 ->
3.1.1?

I'm prepared to download 3.1.1 from the Eclipse site and install it parallel
to 3.0.2 the way I used to Version 2.0.x of Eclipse but I thought that sort
of thing wasn't necessary any more....
I was able to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.1.1 with the Update menu. I think
that you will have to install the newer 3.1.1, coming from 3.0, in
separate directory method.

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Roedy Green

I was able to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.1.1 with the Update menu. I think
that you will have to install the newer 3.1.1, coming from 3.0, in
separate directory method.

I am using 3.1.0 on Win2K. I have looked in various places and see
nothing to upgrade to 3.1.1.

IchBin

Roedy said:
I am using 3.1.0 on Win2K. I have looked in various places and see
nothing to upgrade to 3.1.1.

Boy, Eclipse has a new face lift in the last few days.

I'm on XP SP 2. You can download 3.1.1 from
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

For me, going from 3.1 to 3.1.1 I just did..
Help \ Software Updates \ Find and install \Search for Updates of the
Currently Installed Features

Actually I was not looking for 3.1.1 updates but others. Anyway, it told
me that 3.1.1 was available for downloading. So I did. Beats rebuilding
the entire Eclipse.

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Roedy Green

For me, going from 3.1 to 3.1.1 I just did..
Help \ Software Updates \ Find and install \Search for Updates of the
Currently Installed Features

When I do that it finds nothing.

While I am on the topic of eclipse, what ARE those people doing that
it takes them 30 minutes to determine there is nothing to update?

What are they doing?, checking individual classes or jars, sending the
names in both directions?

Think about how streamline this could get if a package were assigned
an int and within that, each update were assigned an int.

Your query could then be a list of int pairs and the response could be
a list of int pairs that needed an update.

IchBin

Roedy said:
When I do that it finds nothing.

While I am on the topic of eclipse, what ARE those people doing that
it takes them 30 minutes to determine there is nothing to update?

What are they doing?, checking individual classes or jars, sending the
names in both directions?

Think about how streamline this could get if a package were assigned
an int and within that, each update were assigned an int.

Your query could then be a list of int pairs and the response could be
a list of int pairs that needed an update.

For the zip downloads it depends on the mirror sites. On a releases of
anything you can pray to get in to download. I find the Canada download
site is fairly fast for downloads.

Speed of the update, I have not looked into because it usually not that
long for me. I can only assume it has to go through all of the plugin
xml files to figure out what updates that you need for all your plugins.
One plugin could have a lot of updates that have been applied or not
applied. It has to check out all of the prerequisites.. BlabBlabBlab

The updating prototype feels like trying to apply maintenance to the IBM
MVS operating system using SMP or applying PTF's to VM/SP operating
system. That use to take us weeks for all of the prep work.

They may bounce around their servers to obtain the updates. I would be
bullshitting if I knew the exact answer.

I have two Eclipses. One for all the normal stuff and one for the web
stuff. Just to be safe because of applying maintenance. Things are not
that stable at least with WTP project. Like the VE project requires
three other plugins all at different levels in their own right.

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

IchBin

You might want to try this..

Help \ Software Updates \ Find and install \ Search for new features
to install

then add a new remote site with label of
'Eclipse SDK 3.1.1 Updates' an address of
'http://update.eclipse.org/updates/3.1'

Then check it and select finished button.

This may update up you to 3.1.1

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

IchBin

Roedy said:
Excellent! It is downloading now.

for future reference I am adding your instructions to
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/eclipse.html

Cool.. I had forgotten I did this.

I noticed that you have a few links to some of the Eclipse projects on
your Eclipse page. I have all of the projects at my website in case you
want to add to yours. They are in an ordered manner as opposed to
finding all over the place at Eclipse.

http://localhost/JHackerAppManager/Portal?xpc=1$@4$@1$@13

I have a feeling that most people do not know have all the projects they
have. Example they have a project for COBOL and Fortran. Or say the
Phoenix project that just updated the Eclipse website.

On and on....

--

IchBin said:
Cool.. I had forgotten I did this.

I noticed that you have a few links to some of the Eclipse projects on
your Eclipse page. I have all of the projects at my website in case you
want to add to yours. They are in an ordered manner as opposed to
finding all over the place at Eclipse.

http://localhost/JHackerAppManager/Portal?xpc=1$@4$@1$@13

Sorry wrong URL..

http://weconsultants.servebeer.com/JHackerAppManager/Portal?xpc=1$@4$@1$@13