Eclipse upgrade from 3.0.2 to 3.1.2

miraodb

hi all,

I have currently an eclipse platform Version: 3.0.2 Build id:
200503110845.
I want to upgrade it to the latest version which is i believe 3.1.2.

I tried to use the update manager but obviously it doesn't work.
I check on lists and i googled a lot. I found out that it's very hard
to do so !
Seems like the bootstrap changed and therefore no easy upgrade is
possible !
Why would they do such thing ?

I'm using my platform to its extent ! i have so many settings and
projects involved that i'm too scared to attempt anything.

I tried once to install a fresh 3.1.2 and then point to the workspace
defined with my previous installation of 3.0.2 but it didn't work at
all. not only it didn't keep my preferences but i couldn't see anymore
my projects !

I thought i lost everything... i put back the 3.0.2 and everything was
back.

Does ANYONE had to upgrade ? I can't believe i'm the only one
struggling with this issue !

It just doens't make sense at all !

I thanks you all for ANY help, any ideas !

cheers,
fabrice

James Westby

miraodb said:
[...]

There is a new update site for 3.1.x, as you say it has changed slightly.

Add

http://update.eclipse.org/updates/3.1

as an update site and look at what's there. I think you'll find what you
need. If not you need a fresh install. It's not just a case of pointing
at the same workspace though. You need to copy across al configuration
files and plugins.

James

miraodb

Hi james,

thanks for your tips but i actually already checked that out.
the update manager can't work.

can you please be more precise about the work around to keep all the
settings such as preferences and ant calls, run/debug calls, projects ?

thanks in advance.
fabrice

Hendrik Maryns

miraodb

Hi all,

First thanks for your hints !
Nothing really worked out.

So i tried something really stupid: i backed up my eclipse folder.
Downloaded 3.1.2 and overwrote the current folder with this one.
It overwrote all current files, created the new ones and unfortunetely
surely left the useless ones !

The fact is that i actually worked out pretty well ! i'm now using the
latest version of eclispe. the only thing i had to do was to upgrade
the plugins.
All my preferences and settings for projects were kept as it is !

Being stupid can be great sometimes ! :)

Thanks to all
cheers,
fabrice