OT: Windows 2003 vs. XP Pro, worth the upgrade?

Rick Osborn

This may be way off topic, but I want to deploy/run Websphere full
version
(not trial Express). I have eval 2003 and was thinking of plunking
few hundred down on registered version off of ebay.

Just soliciting other opinions to what might be good/bad about
upgrading.

nos

Rick Osborn said:
This may be way off topic, but I want to deploy/run Websphere full
version
(not trial Express). I have eval 2003 and was thinking of plunking
few hundred down on registered version off of ebay.

Just soliciting other opinions to what might be good/bad about
upgrading.

Be sure you get the secret code, if one is needed, to run the program.
And, for all this money, that you can officially register it, and obtain
upgrades (student versions of some MS software don't allow upgrade.)

Sudsy

Rick said:
This may be way off topic, but I want to deploy/run Websphere full
version
(not trial Express). I have eval 2003 and was thinking of plunking
few hundred down on registered version off of ebay.

Just soliciting other opinions to what might be good/bad about
upgrading.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen! Guess what IBM's
question is going to be the first time you call for customer
support: what's your customer number? You don't have one?
You didn't buy the software from us? Sorry...
Licenses are generally non-transferable (check the fine
print). And considering WebSphere sells for about US$35K,
well, the software might or might not run, and who knows
how long the license is good for? And if you're not the
original licensee then you probably won't be able to get
upgrades.
Suggestion: look for something cheap/free if you don't need
the bulletproof capabilities of WebSphere or be prepared to
pay full price.
IMHO, "used" software is often just a scam, an attempt to
separate you from your hard-earned dollars. YMMV