Outlook and ASP.Net

Guest

Our uses don't want to login to another application just to notate their
leave schedules. Most of our users are already familiar with Outlook and like
it. They don't want an office calendar, so we are building an application to
display all types of leave. So.....

Is there any way to code the capability for a user to create an outlook
calendar appointment and have it forwarded/exported to our web database
application? The application would be the big respository for everyones
leave and our users could display the leave schedules during big executive
meetings.

Axel Dahmen

Hi, Mike,

you could display your web application from within Outlook by assigning it
as a homepage to some folder within Outlook. Would that help?

HTH,
Axel Dahmen

David Jessee

There wouldn't be a way of doing it without either
1) making a change to every person's Outlook or
2) giving your web app admin access to all of the outlook files on the
exchange server (assuming you're using Exchange)....which I wouldn't
recommend.

This might work, though....if you're using Exchange.....
Create a network Identity that has read'only access to each user's calendar.
They'd have to go in and give the account access to read it.
Then have your application poll all of teh calendars at some interval to
aggregate the data.

Axel Dahmen

You could also create a business wide Outlook form in Exchange, derive it
from the calendar (or perhaps from an appointment) and process the user
input from there. You wouldn't even need any web application or ASP.NET
because the GUI ist the Outlook form. But this would be a new subject to be
created in a thread within an Outlook group.

HTH,
Axel Dahmen