Outlook Web Access

Guest

I work with Outlook Web Access and I think it's a great App that gives really
(almost) everything what a Windows GUI can do. I guess it is written in
ASP.NET and there is one thing I really wonder how they did it: when you
receive a mail you get alerted !!! How can this be ?
Does anybody know where I can read about this technique (how is it called) ?
There must be something that silently checks the Server every x time or so.
Is it something that will be in VS 2005 or can it be done with the existing
versions of ASP.NET/C# already ?
Thank you for your hints

Guest

It polls/refreshes an iframe is my bet.
If you want to do this though, possibly look at AJAX. It's a
clientside-to-server addin that allows you to refresh/rebuild single
areas/controls on the page. It's fairly new but VERY promising.