Overwriting the App_Data directory on publish

M

mc

I've developed a website with which users can update XML files in it's App_Data directory. Currently
when I want to update the live site I have to take a copy of the app_Data directory on the server
and reinstate it after publishing the new content. does anyone have any suggestions for the most
effective way to automate this?

TIA

MC

M

mc

Just said:
Cant you just exclude it from the project.
Thanks for the sugestion However, You can't exclude a directory, so you would need to exclude each
file in the App_Data directory.

I would need to do this before each publish as I still need access to these files whilst debugging
locally.

Next Idea! :)

Regards

MC

M

mc

I'm using "Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Developers" and when I right click on a
Directory in "Solution Explorer" (which I assume is the same as Project Explorer?) I don't get the
option to "Exclude from Project". I Do have an "Exclude from project" option for the files just not
directories.

Publish was just nice and easy as I've no knead for FTP as I write files directly to a network
share on the web server.

I will now have a look at Web Deployment Projects!

Just said:

M

mc

Looks like the "Remove the App_Data folder from output location" Checkbox does exactly what I need!

Thanks for the tip!

Incidentally since I installed the Web Deployment Projects msi I get an error when I start VS,
"Package Load Failure" for "Microsoft.Workflow.VSDesigner.DesignerPackage". However, as I'm not
using that at the moment I shall ignore this!

Regards

MC
I'm using "Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Developers" and
when I right click on a Directory in "Solution Explorer" (which I assume
is the same as Project Explorer?) I don't get the option to "Exclude
from Project". I Do have an "Exclude from project" option for the files
just not directories.

Publish was just nice and easy as I've no knead for FTP as I write
files directly to a network share on the web server.

I will now have a look at Web Deployment Projects!

Ask a Question