Overwriting the App_Data directory on publish

mc

I've developed a website with which users can update XML files in it's App_Data directory. Currently
when I want to update the live site I have to take a copy of the app_Data directory on the server
and reinstate it after publishing the new content. does anyone have any suggestions for the most
effective way to automate this?

TIA

MC

mc

Just said:
Cant you just exclude it from the project.
Thanks for the sugestion However, You can't exclude a directory, so you would need to exclude each
file in the App_Data directory.

I would need to do this before each publish as I still need access to these files whilst debugging
locally.

Next Idea! :)

Regards

MC

mc

I'm using "Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Developers" and when I right click on a
Directory in "Solution Explorer" (which I assume is the same as Project Explorer?) I don't get the
option to "Exclude from Project". I Do have an "Exclude from project" option for the files just not
directories.

Publish was just nice and easy as I've no knead for FTP as I write files directly to a network
share on the web server.

I will now have a look at Web Deployment Projects!

Just said:

mc

Looks like the "Remove the App_Data folder from output location" Checkbox does exactly what I need!

Thanks for the tip!

Incidentally since I installed the Web Deployment Projects msi I get an error when I start VS,
"Package Load Failure" for "Microsoft.Workflow.VSDesigner.DesignerPackage". However, as I'm not
using that at the moment I shall ignore this!