page cannot be found


S

shank

I have a login page where a new user can click on a Register button (below)
to get to a newaccount.asp page. This has been working without a problem for
many months. All of a sudden, I have a new customer that clicks the button
and she gets "page cannot be found". She has a new computer with IE 6.0 on
comcast.net cable modem. While I'm on the phone with her, I get the page and
she doesn't. Why? What's wrong with the code? We register many users each
day.

Note: If the user puts the address: https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp
in her address bar - she gets the page.

<input name="NewAccount" type="button" id="7" value="Register"
onClick="document.frmLogin.action='https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp';
document.frmLogin.submit()" style="width:130">
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

rf

shank said:
I have a login page where a new user can click on a Register button (below)
to get to a newaccount.asp page. This has been working without a problem for
many months. All of a sudden, I have a new customer that clicks the button
and she gets "page cannot be found". She has a new computer with IE 6.0 on
comcast.net cable modem. While I'm on the phone with her, I get the page and
she doesn't. Why? What's wrong with the code? We register many users each
day.

Note: If the user puts the address: https://www.mydomain.com/newaccount.asp
in her address bar - she gets the page.

I get a 404 in IE6 and a timed out in Mozilla.

tracert times out just after this:
csr11-ve243.Tukwilase2.cw.net [216.34.64.147]

BTW this is from Australia.

Methinks IE6 is misrepresenting a timeout as a 404.

Cheers
Richard.
 
B

brucie

I get a 404 in IE6 and a timed out in Mozilla.

i think the OP just made up the domain name instead of using the
accepted 'example.com' which makes it hard to determine what the
problems is without a URI.
 
R

rf

brucie said:
i think the OP just made up the domain name instead of using the
accepted 'example.com' which makes it hard to determine what the
problems is without a URI.

I think your'e right. So much for my trying to help then :-(

How could we possibly tell what is wrong from such a small snippit of code?

Cheers
Richard.
 
W

William Tasso

rf said:
I think your'e right. So much for my trying to help then :-(

How could we possibly tell what is wrong from such a small snippit of
code?

crystal ball broken? here, borrow mine - I can't get it to work today
anyway.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

rf

William Tasso said:
crystal ball broken? here, borrow mine - I can't get it to work today
anyway.

Hey, thanks William. All becomes clear now. Brucie was correct twice today
:)

The user has javascript disabled and the forms action points to somewhere
like "rubbish". Without javascript the input fields on click event never
fires, the user presses enter and the browsers default of submitting the
form kicks in, still pointing to "rubbish". This will be confirmed when the
user tells us that the url for the 404 is, in fact,
http://www.mydomain.com/rubbish. Whether or not there is a submit button on
the form may not matter.

A perfect example of the wisdom of assigning mission critical functions
(like getting new clients) to client side scripting.

How close to the truth am I shank?

Cheers
Richard.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top