Paging dorayme, GFK Joe, John Dunlop, Nico Schuyt, jojo, Beauregard T.

Nikita the Spider

Ed Jay

Nikita the Spider scribed:
Hi all,
As promised in our earlier discussion, here's my article that describes
the effectiveness of inhibiting spam by "hiding" one's email address on
Web pages:
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/articles/IngenReklamTack.html

Preliminary results for this experiment were discussed here:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_frm/thread/16614b23132123f
8

There's also a link to that conversation in the article itself in case
Usenet line wrapping destroys the URL above.
Very interesting. Thanks for the work.

If your experimental results are valid, it seems a no-brainer to go with
character obfuscation, regardless of whether or not the visitor has js
enabled.

dorayme

<[email protected]
t.rr.com>,
Nikita the Spider said:
Hi all,
As promised in our earlier discussion, here's my article that describes
the effectiveness of inhibiting spam by "hiding" one's email address on
Web pages:
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/articles/IngenReklamTack.html

Preliminary results for this experiment were discussed here:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_frm/thread/16614b23132123f
8

There's also a link to that conversation in the article itself in case
Usenet line wrapping destroys the URL above.

Cheers

Hello! This is dorayme 785402458 reporting in to base...

Nicely done Spider. I was fairly convinced before by your
informally mentioned results previously. While I doubt that
anything at all can be concluded from the difference between the
js and the encoding methods (on your sample figures), it sure
looks like it is worth it to use one or other. I prefer the
encoding method.

Joe (GKF)

Hi all,
As promised in our earlier discussion, here's my article that describes
the effectiveness of inhibiting spam by "hiding" one's email address on
Web pages:
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/articles/IngenReklamTack.html

Preliminary results for this experiment were discussed here:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_frm/thread/16614b23132123f
8

There's also a link to that conversation in the article itself in case
Usenet line wrapping destroys the URL above.

Cheers
Thanks for the effort. It seems clear that obfuscation works. Great to
know.

patrick j

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:49:53 +0000, Nikita the Spider wrote
(in article
<NikitaTheSpider-4428FD.11495412112006@news-rdr-01-ce0-
1.southeast.rr.com>):
Hi all,
As promised in our earlier discussion, here's my article that describes
the effectiveness of inhibiting spam by "hiding" one's email address on
Web pages:
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/articles/IngenReklamTack.html

It's very interesting reading, I'm very grateful for the information.

I note you write:

In Sweden, that most civilized of countries, one can stop
delivery of a great deal of junk mail simply by sticking the
phrase "Ingen reklam, tack!" ("No advertising, please!")
just above one's mail slot.

Does anyone in Sweden not have "Ingen reklam, tack!" above their mail
slot?

I wish this would work in the UK.

Benjamin Niemann

patrick said:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:49:53 +0000, Nikita the Spider wrote
(in article
<NikitaTheSpider-4428FD.11495412112006@news-rdr-01-ce0-
1.southeast.rr.com>):

It's very interesting reading, I'm very grateful for the information.

I note you write:

In Sweden, that most civilized of countries, one can stop
delivery of a great deal of junk mail simply by sticking the
phrase "Ingen reklam, tack!" ("No advertising, please!")
just above one's mail slot.

Does anyone in Sweden not have "Ingen reklam, tack!" above their mail
slot?

Same thing here in Germany. The label is usually 'Werbung - nein danke!'
(Advertising - no, thank you!). You see lots of these, though not everyone
has it. And sometimes you see a 'Werbung - ja bitte!' (Advertising - yes,
please!) - not everybody seems to agree that ads are only an annoyance...

dorayme

patrick j said:
I note you write:

In Sweden, that most civilized of countries, one can stop
delivery of a great deal of junk mail simply by sticking the
phrase "Ingen reklam, tack!" ("No advertising, please!")
just above one's mail slot.

Does anyone in Sweden not have "Ingen reklam, tack!" above their mail
slot?

I wish this would work in the UK.

Me, I have a notice saying all junk welcome. They think the
household has nutters (aren't they silly?) and don't bother to
leave any.

Nikita the Spider

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:49:53 +0000, Nikita the Spider wrote
(in article
<NikitaTheSpider-4428FD.11495412112006@news-rdr-01-ce0-
1.southeast.rr.com>):

It's very interesting reading, I'm very grateful for the information.

I note you write:

In Sweden, that most civilized of countries, one can stop
delivery of a great deal of junk mail simply by sticking the
phrase "Ingen reklam, tack!" ("No advertising, please!")
just above one's mail slot.

Does anyone in Sweden not have "Ingen reklam, tack!" above their mail
slot?

Same thing here in Germany. The label is usually 'Werbung - nein danke!'
(Advertising - no, thank you!). You see lots of these, though not everyone
has it. And sometimes you see a 'Werbung - ja bitte!' (Advertising - yes,
please!) - not everybody seems to agree that ads are only an annoyance...[/QUOTE]

One of the images I found on the Net says, "Ingen reklam tack men garna
IKEA katalogen" -- "No junk mail, thanks, but we'll gladly accept the
IKEA catalog".

http://anders.hultman.nu/album/en/ingenreklam-1996?7

Thanks all, I'm glad you liked the article.

dorayme

<[email protected]
t.rr.com>,
Nikita the Spider said:
Thanks all, I'm glad you liked the article.

I have a client who loves charts and stats and stuff and he was
impressed and I assume that he will pay his bills ever more
gladly now I have pointed out how I have encoded his email
addresses and the peace of mind he can expect...

I started to tell him about old Korpela's advice to do it
properly and use email spamming protection, even an expert to set
it up etc and he started to open a drawer where I know he keeps
an axe to chase debt collectors and other unwelcome guests out...
I backed off and quickly hurried onto Plan B, that is where your
page came in handy...

Nikita the Spider

dorayme said:
<[email protected]
t.rr.com>,

I have a client who loves charts and stats and stuff and he was
impressed and I assume that he will pay his bills ever more
gladly now I have pointed out how I have encoded his email
addresses and the peace of mind he can expect...

I started to tell him about old Korpela's advice to do it
properly and use email spamming protection, even an expert to set
it up etc and he started to open a drawer where I know he keeps
an axe to chase debt collectors and other unwelcome guests out...
I backed off and quickly hurried onto Plan B, that is where your
page came in handy...

Always glad to save someone from the axe!

BTW just a day or two after I posted my article, the topic of protecting
one's email address was discussed on Slashdot. My article didn't come up
(not sure I'm ready for hordes of Slashdotters) but this one did. It's a
few years old but a much more comprehensive study than mine.

http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

DRCM