Paging dorayme, GFK Joe, John Dunlop, Nico Schuyt, jojo, Beauregard T.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nikita the Spider, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. Nikita the Spider, Nov 12, 2006

  2. Well written, Spiderman.

    Possibly, you may not have gotten any spam at all at the acklig and
    konstig addresses if you had included the string 'mailto:' in the
    obfuscation. :)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 12, 2006

  3. Nikita the Spider

    Ed Jay Guest

    Nikita the Spider scribed:
    Very interesting. Thanks for the work.

    If your experimental results are valid, it seems a no-brainer to go with
    character obfuscation, regardless of whether or not the visitor has js
    enabled.

    Ed Jay, Nov 12, 2006
  4. Nikita the Spider

    dorayme Guest

    <
    t.rr.com>,
    Hello! This is dorayme 785402458 reporting in to base...

    Nicely done Spider. I was fairly convinced before by your
    informally mentioned results previously. While I doubt that
    anything at all can be concluded from the difference between the
    js and the encoding methods (on your sample figures), it sure
    looks like it is worth it to use one or other. I prefer the
    encoding method.

    dorayme, Nov 12, 2006
  5. Nikita the Spider

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    Thanks for the effort. It seems clear that obfuscation works. Great to
    know.

    Joe (GKF), Nov 13, 2006
  6. Nikita the Spider

    patrick j Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:49:53 +0000, Nikita the Spider wrote
    (in article
    <[email protected]
    1.southeast.rr.com>):
    It's very interesting reading, I'm very grateful for the information.

    I note you write:

    In Sweden, that most civilized of countries, one can stop
    delivery of a great deal of junk mail simply by sticking the
    phrase "Ingen reklam, tack!" ("No advertising, please!")
    just above one's mail slot.

    Does anyone in Sweden not have "Ingen reklam, tack!" above their mail
    slot?

    I wish this would work in the UK.

    patrick j, Nov 13, 2006
  7. Same thing here in Germany. The label is usually 'Werbung - nein danke!'
    (Advertising - no, thank you!). You see lots of these, though not everyone
    has it. And sometimes you see a 'Werbung - ja bitte!' (Advertising - yes,
    please!) - not everybody seems to agree that ads are only an annoyance...

    Benjamin Niemann, Nov 13, 2006
  8. Nikita the Spider

    dorayme Guest

    Me, I have a notice saying all junk welcome. They think the
    household has nutters (aren't they silly?) and don't bother to
    leave any.

    dorayme, Nov 13, 2006
  9. Same thing here in Germany. The label is usually 'Werbung - nein danke!'
    (Advertising - no, thank you!). You see lots of these, though not everyone
    has it. And sometimes you see a 'Werbung - ja bitte!' (Advertising - yes,
    please!) - not everybody seems to agree that ads are only an annoyance...[/QUOTE]

    One of the images I found on the Net says, "Ingen reklam tack men garna
    IKEA katalogen" -- "No junk mail, thanks, but we'll gladly accept the
    IKEA catalog".

    http://anders.hultman.nu/album/en/ingenreklam-1996?7

    Thanks all, I'm glad you liked the article.

    Nikita the Spider, Nov 15, 2006
  10. Nikita the Spider

    dorayme Guest

    <
    t.rr.com>,
    I have a client who loves charts and stats and stuff and he was
    impressed and I assume that he will pay his bills ever more
    gladly now I have pointed out how I have encoded his email
    addresses and the peace of mind he can expect...

    I started to tell him about old Korpela's advice to do it
    properly and use email spamming protection, even an expert to set
    it up etc and he started to open a drawer where I know he keeps
    an axe to chase debt collectors and other unwelcome guests out...
    I backed off and quickly hurried onto Plan B, that is where your
    page came in handy...

    dorayme, Nov 15, 2006
  11. Always glad to save someone from the axe!

    BTW just a day or two after I posted my article, the topic of protecting
    one's email address was discussed on Slashdot. My article didn't come up
    (not sure I'm ready for hordes of Slashdotters) but this one did. It's a
    few years old but a much more comprehensive study than mine.

    http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

    Nikita the Spider, Nov 15, 2006