Paging performance question

BillGatesFan

My boss wants to somehow mimic Google and return only what is displayed
in the datagrid back to the client. He guess that is what they are
doing. So each time they pick a page number it will only go back and
get the 10 results for that page.

My question is this more efficient that going on the first trip pulling
all 500 records and storing the dataview in a session variable and
manipulating it to display the results?

I say no because if the bottleneck is the database you want to limit
the times you hit it but I'm open to a discussion about this.

The disadvantage of my way is if you have a site with high volume, you
might have 1000 users with a dataview in session with 500 results and
it will take up resources.

Please help solve this debate. Thanks

William Tasso

BillGatesFan said:
My boss wants to somehow mimic Google and return only what is displayed
in the datagrid back to the client. He guess that is what they are
doing. So each time they pick a page number it will only go back and
get the 10 results for that page.

My question is this more efficient that going on the first trip pulling
all 500 records and storing the dataview in a session variable and
manipulating it to display the results?

I say no because if the bottleneck is the database you want to limit
the times you hit it but I'm open to a discussion about this.

The disadvantage of my way is if you have a site with high volume, you
might have 1000 users with a dataview in session with 500 results and
it will take up resources.

Please help solve this debate. Thanks

In my opinion, your boss is right - sorry ;)

keep - the data you whizz around lean, mean and clean. I wouldn't want to
be carrying all that extra data around just on the offchance the visitor
may return for more.