Paging/Segmentation: How really are they implemented?

Maria

Hi,

I have read about paging, segmentation and paged segmentation and I
believe I have (nearly) understood how these techniques are implemented
in hardware. However, I am till confused about the some details which
I'll highly appreciated your assistance on.

1- When using pure paging and for a page size equal to 4KB=2^12, each
page should be located at 4KB's offset in the main memory. There is
no similar restriction with segmentation since segments don't have a
pre-set size. What about paged segmentation? Should segments be located
at 2^12 boundaries since each segment now is a set of pages [assume
page size is equal to 2^12].

2- How can we as users choose any of the above techniques, is there any
register to set by the compiler (or the linker, loader)?

3- From what I read segmentation requires the use of the assembly
indirect addressing, while each address contains two fields [register
segment: offset]. If we are in real mode, register segment content
[after probably right shift] determines the starting address of the
segment in the main memory and the offset field represents the offset
within the segment in the physical memory. However, if we are using
protected mode, the content of the register segment points to a segment
table which includes the starting address of the segment. Am I right?

4- Now regarding protected mode/real mode. Are they part of the CPU
modes which defines the execution mode? How are they related to user
mode and kernel mode?

5- Is the segment table part of the CPU architecture?

6- Who set the values of the segment registers and the segment table? I
presume the kernel. Does the kernel decide on behalf of the user which
INDEX VALUE the code/stack/data/ etc segment is given and set the
content of the segment table entries [including in particular the
starting address of the segment in the main memory and its size]
accordingly?
I presume the segment table content should be saved/updated each time a
segment is relocated?

7- Sometimes I encounter while using my computer, system messages [like
protection errors] showing a similar address to OFFF:XXXX which
indicates a very high number of segments in an application , a highly
unlikely situation as the number of segments in an application tends to
be moderately small. So what 0FFF stands for and why it is as high?

8- Actually, how the CPU differentiates between the next 3 instructions
[in protected mode]:
Load 3, CS:XXX
Load 3, DS:XXX
Load 3, SS:XXX

Will each of the above instructions be translated to a different
numerical code depending of the type of segment?

If this is case why not skip this "unnecessary" step by binding
permanently each segment register to a fixed entry in the segment
table? May be this has not been done because an application might have
a large number of segments than the available cpu segments registers.
As such a particular register will be used for more than one segment
and its content should be used to index the segment table. Am I right?

9- The last question about pure segmentation. You can see from the
figure available at this link
http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~yairamir/cs418/os5/sld040.htm
that the address is considered as one unit value, instead of two
fields, and I have seen than in many other references and even exam
papers the students are asked to find a physical address (in pure
segmentation) for a particular virtual address. And the virtual address
given is simply one field hexadecimal value, example 0x43 instead of
two fields as pure segmentation is
described(http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~yairamir/cs418/os5/sld039.htm)

I understand that in paper we have to find the segment index and
offset by splitting the address(0x43) into two fields. However why the
address is considered as only one field instead of two fields. Will the
CPU appends CS content to XXXX while it encounters an instruction
similar to load 3, CS:XXXX

Many thanks for your help and sorry for the long message

Regards

Keith Thompson

Maria said:
I have read about paging, segmentation and paged segmentation and I
believe I have (nearly) understood how these techniques are implemented
in hardware. However, I am till confused about the some details which
I'll highly appreciated your assistance on.
[snip]

None of this seems to be related to the C programming language.
Please drop comp.lang.c from any followups. Thanks.