Parent/Child Relationship

Bob Day

Using VS 2003, VB.NET, sql msde...

This is really a question about a winform datagridcontrol (if there is a
better newsgroup for these winform datagridcontrol questions, let me know).

A parent/child relationship exists. When you click the + next to the parent
row, the relationship name "Display Details" appears. You then click that,
and everything previously FILLed to the child DataSet table displays. All
works as expected.

My question are:
1) Is there an event triggered by clicking on "Display Details" so you could
dynamically FILL the child table at that point, instead of having to fill it
prior it "Display Details" being click? If not an event, any other way to
do it?

2) Since the child table in the DataSet is held in memory, should I be
worried about how large it might get? Can it get to large or does Windows
XP/.NET still handle it appropriately regardless of its size? In my case,
the child could get quite large, constantly being added to by the program
automatically (which is the main reason I would like to load it when needed
via #1 above).

Thanks!

Bob Day

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Bob,

Thank you for posting to the MSDN newsgroups.

Since this issue is regarding the Winform DataGrid control, a better
newsgroup for it is the microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms
group or the microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms.controls group.
The microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol group is used
for the ASP.NET DataGrid Web control. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support