Parsing bash_history and inputting into mysql (Intrusion Detection)

sreekanth.hari

I have a seemingly tough assignment for my Senior Project. I need to
develop an Intrusion Detection System.

My approach is to parse the bash_history file of each user into a mysql
database, assign a threshold for commands or sequences of commands and
then alert the admin of nethin fishy is found.

My advisor reccomended I use python for writing the scripts.

I am absolutely new to python and have no prior experience in it. That
said

Could any one tell me how exactly to go abt all this?

Any tools or code that would make my life easier?

Suggestions (which modules to use etc) ?

Cheers,

Sreekanth

William Park

I have a seemingly tough assignment for my Senior Project. I need to
develop an Intrusion Detection System.

My approach is to parse the bash_history file of each user into a mysql
database, assign a threshold for commands or sequences of commands and
then alert the admin of nethin fishy is found.

~/.bash_history is written when Bash exits. Try
history -c
exit
and see what happens.