Pass SecureString to web service?

RMT

Hi,

Is there a way to get the encrypted bits from a SecureString, rather than
pinning it down and getting it's actual, decrypted value in unmanaged
memory?

What I would like to do is simply compare the unicode encrypted string in
the database with the unicode eyncrypted string passed by the client to the
web service. Presumably I cannot use SecureString to do this and will have
to roll my own encryption?

Robin

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

Yes, you'd need to roll your own encryption. Typically, the most difficult
part of getting this secure is coming up with a secure means of exchanging
keys. That's why SSL is generally regarded as good (it does this well and
has been well tested).

Joe K.

RMT

Okay tyvm.

Joe Kaplan (MVP - ADSI) said:
Yes, you'd need to roll your own encryption. Typically, the most
difficult part of getting this secure is coming up with a secure means of
exchanging keys. That's why SSL is generally regarded as good (it does
this well and has been well tested).

Joe K.

Co-author of "The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services
Programming"
http://www.directoryprogramming.net