Pass through Windows Identity to Web Service

Noremac

I have a web site. It's business layer is accessed through another web
service. Both are hosted on IIS.

When this application is deployed on the intranet, we have people access it
through their AD accounts. Ideally, we want to pass the Windows Identity that
is accessing the website through to the business web service layer. The web
service layer then grabs the roles from AzMan and returns a custom identity
class (that implements IIdentity).

The problem I am having is that both the web site and web service have to
have <identity impersonate="true" /> in order for the web service to get the
client's identity. We don't want the web site to use the client identity. We
want the web site to run under ASPNET / Network Service (i.e. the identity
assigned for the App Pool).

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Noremac,

For your scenario, you need to pass the windows identity from the ASP.NET
application to the webservice application without enable impersonate in
ASP.NET web application ,correct?

I assume that your web application and webservice are on the same server
machine(other wise, we can not forward client authenticated user token
across multiple machine boundary--- double hop).

Then, if you do not to imperonate your ASP.NET application through
<web.config>, you can consider the following means:

**use programmatic impersonate. Thus, you can put impersonate code only at
the function where you'll call the webservice. Since you've used "windows"
authentication in ASP.NET web app, you can use the authenticated user
identity(through Context.User.Identity) to perform the impersonate. Here
are two articles that may help you:

#How To: Use Windows Authentication in ASP.NET 2.0

#How To: Use Impersonation and Delegation in ASP.NET 2.0

How do you think?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Noremac,

Have you got any further idea on this issue? If you need any other help,
please feel free to post here.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 04:29:09 GMT
Subject: RE: Pass through Windows Identity to Web Service