passing textfield value from page to framset

lev

How do I pass a value from a textfield on one page to a textfield on
one of three frames in a second page? The three frames in the second
(htm) page are cgi files. My first page successfully passes a
textfield value (name) to a result_frame via
'action' (=result_frame). The result_frame retrieves the value (sent
by POST) via $ENV{'REQUEST_METHOD'},
read(STDIN, $buffer, $ENV{'CONTENT_LENGTH}), and reg. expressions
that extract the name-value from the $buffer value.
My problem is that this single result_frame takes the full page and I
need the complete framset page. Addressing action on the first page
to the framset(htm) page doesn't pass my value to the result_frame.
Another attempt was by way of a hidden frame in the frameset which
retrieves my name-value. Still, when clicking to set up my graph
(requiring this value), I cannot pass it again to a hidden textfield
in the result_frame using javascript dot expressions to equate
textfields.

MartinRinehart

lev said:
How do I pass a value from a textfield on one page to a textfield on
one of three frames in a second page?

Your solution is inventive, but way too hard.

When you create your frames in your framesets, use "name=xxx". Your
frame is then directly addressable as "top.xxx". (top.xxx.yyy if you
nest frames in frames, etc.) A function in that frame is
"top.xxx.someFunc". Call it, passing the value(s) as args.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

When you create your frames in your framesets, use "name=xxx".
name="xxx"

Your frame is then directly addressable as "top.xxx". (top.xxx.yyy if you
nest frames in frames, etc.) A function in that frame is
"top.xxx.someFunc". Call it, passing the value(s) as args.

The less error-prone way to refer to Window objects that represent frames is
window.top.frames["xxx"] and window.top.frames["xxx"].frames["yyy"]. And
window.parent.frames["yyy"] in the document of window.top.frames["xxx"] is
more efficient and easier to maintain than
window.top.frames["xxx"].frames["yyy"].

See also <
BTW, if you subscribed to this newsgroup or used a better interface than
Google Groups, you could post here under your real name instead of your
e-mail address. This could turn out to be beneficial for you and others.

PointedEars

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]>, Sun, 17
BTW, if you subscribed to this newsgroup or used a better interface than
Google Groups, you could post here under your real name instead of your
e-mail address. This could turn out to be beneficial for you and others.

Read literally, that is true (if one assumes that all software used to
"subscribe" has the appropriate ability, which is unproven). But it
carries a strong implication that software needs to be better than
Google Groups in order to enable "real name". Unless you know about ALL
software worse than Google Groups, you should not make such an
implication.

And there is one software system which is neither better nor worse than
Google Groups, and which allows "real name" - you should, for example,
read Message-ID: <[email protected]
egroups.com> in full.

But ISTM that "(e-mail address removed)" is a fair indication of a real
name, which may well be that of the poster.

MartinRinehart

Thomas said:
The less error-prone way to refer to Window objects that represent frames is
window.top.frames["xxx"] and window.top.frames["xxx"].frames["yyy"].

Why? What sort of error?
BTW, if you subscribed to this newsgroup or used a better interface than
Google Groups, you could post here under your real name instead of your
e-mail address. This could turn out to be beneficial for you and others.

Can you suggest a better interface? Thanx.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Dr said:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said:
BTW, if you subscribed to this newsgroup or used a better interface
than Google Groups, you could post here under your real name instead of
your e-mail address. This could turn out to be beneficial for you and
others.

[...] But it carries a strong implication that software needs to be
better than Google Groups in order to enable "real name".

If one's intention is to twist words. Instead, it was pointed out that
both a user of Google Groups who subscribed to a newsgroup through that
interface, and a user of another user agent would be able to post under
their real name. Using a local newsreader application instead of a Web
interface carries with it the possibility of other advantages as well.
Unless you know about ALL software worse than Google Groups, you should
not make such an implication.

No, the matter is that locally installed newsreader software tends to be
better than Google Groups, and all of them currently on the market allow for
you to define the content of your From header.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Thomas said:
The less error-prone way to refer to Window objects that represent frames is
window.top.frames["xxx"] and window.top.frames["xxx"].frames["yyy"].

Why? What sort of error?

Since we assume here that properties of the Global Object of a global
execution context are available as properties of Window objects, it should
be self-evident that not using the `frames' collection carries with it the
risk of unintentionally accessing such a property instead of that which is
storing the frame (Window) object reference.
Can you suggest a better interface? Thanx.

No, but I can suggest a better newsreader application: Mozilla Thunderbird.

PointedEars

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]>, Tue,
19 Aug 2008 23:24:29 said:
Dr said:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said:
BTW, if you subscribed to this newsgroup or used a better interface
than Google Groups, you could post here under your real name instead of
your e-mail address. This could turn out to be beneficial for you and
others.

[...] But it carries a strong implication that software needs to be
better than Google Groups in order to enable "real name".

If one's intention is to twist words. Instead, it was pointed out that
both a user of Google Groups who subscribed to a newsgroup through that
interface, and a user of another user agent would be able to post under
their real name. Using a local newsreader application instead of a Web
interface carries with it the possibility of other advantages as well.

Perhaps you would understand the meaning of what you write rather better
if you were to write in German.
No, the matter is that locally installed newsreader software tends to be
better than Google Groups, and all of them currently on the market allow for
you to define the content of your From header.

Do not confuse, in your mind or in those of others, the concepts of
"necessary" and "sufficient".