PDF::Reader streamed into PDF::Writer

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Brandon Sislow, Mar 27, 2008.

  1. Hi Folks,

    Does PDF::Reader integrate at all with PDF::Writer?

    What I'm attempting to do is read a pdf file while writing it back out
    in pdf with additional data added(i.e. form fields populated).

    Essentially this is a premade template I want to dynamically populate.

    My guess would be to map all the callbacks received from PDF::Reader
    into an associated PDF::Writer function, but that would take massive
    amounts of man-hours to complete.

    I've searched a few posts but haven't seen anything exactly like what
    I'm looking for other than http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/147310#new :

    "Posted by Austin Ziegler (austin)
    on 26.03.2008 21:25
    (Received via mailing list)

    do it with Cairo's PDF support.

    -austin"

    Anyone have other suggestions?

    Brandon Sislow, Mar 27, 2008

  2. Yes, it would. You *really* don't want to do this. If you need to do
    this, look at stepping outside of Ruby or look at Ruby Cairo.

    There has been discussion of *simplistic* PDFR to PDFW translation,
    but it's exactly that: simplistic.

    BTW ruby-forum is a poor-man's replication of the mailing list and
    newsgroup interaction.

    -austin

    Austin Ziegler, Mar 28, 2008