Performance question regarding dynamic controls

jsever05

I am trying to build a reasonably large table (maybe 50 rows x 12
columns) dynamically on the server-side using the Table(), TableRow(),
and TableCell() objects provided by ASP.NET. For various reasons I
don't want to use a datagrid and do any binding, but would rather build
the table dynamically.

My question has to do with the performance of these objects - would it
be significantly faster for me to just dynamically generate some static
HTML strings and write those out to the client instead of instantiating
all these objects? I have a feeling that it would be faster, but no
idea how much so. I realize that using static HTML will preclude using
any ASP.NET server side objects in the code, but this purpose it may be
ok.

Does anyone know how much slower the dynamic controls would be as
compared to standard string output?

Thanks!

jasonkester

I doubt you would see any performance difference between the two. If
it were me, I'd build whatever was most readable and maintainable. I'd
only worry about performance if it proved noticably slow during
testing.

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/