Perl DBD-My with SQL 5.0

Anton van der Steen

Hey guys,

I tried to make a connection with MySQL 5.0 using
Perl DBD-MySQL from ActiveState.

I got following Error message:
Client does not support authentication requested by server; consider
upgrading MySQL at client.

But upgrading to what, with what????????
That is the big question.

Looking forward to any help.

Thankx

J. Gleixner

Anton said:
Hey guys,

I tried to make a connection with MySQL 5.0 using
Perl DBD-MySQL from ActiveState.

I got following Error message:
Client does not support authentication requested by server; consider
upgrading MySQL at client.

But upgrading to what, with what????????
That is the big question.

Upgrade/Install the MySQL client on your machine, which includes all of
the MySQL libraries that communicate with the MySQL server. See
http://www.mysql.com and download the MySQL client for your particular OS.

You'll probably need to upgrade/reinstall DBD-mysql, after installing
the client.

John Bokma

Anton van der Steen said:
Hey guys,

I tried to make a connection with MySQL 5.0 using
Perl DBD-MySQL from ActiveState.

which version?

Works here, but I only tried root :-D

Sherm Pendley

Anton van der Steen said:
Hey guys,

I tried to make a connection with MySQL 5.0 using
Perl DBD-MySQL from ActiveState.

I got following Error message:
Client does not support authentication requested by server; consider
upgrading MySQL at client.

But upgrading to what, with what????????
That is the big question.

Looking forward to any help.

More of a workaround than a solution, but you can reset the password in
question to an old-style password:

mysql>set password for 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('passwd');

The actual solution is to upgrade the client - i.e. the MySQL C library, and
the DBD::MySQL module that's linked against it - to use a newer (>= 4.1)
version of the MySQL client library. But if you're relying on pre-packaged
modules rather than building them yourself, that may not be a realistic
option for you.

Here's the relevant docs:

<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/old-client.html>

This has nothing to do with Perl, btw - any client app that uses the MySQL
client library will face the same issue, whether it's written in Perl, C,
Python, Ruby... whatever.

sherm--