Perl free e-books

Shuo Shi

Dear all,

I am very glad to join this news group of Perl subject. So would you please share some info on URL address to download the free e-books ( pdf format is perfect ) about Perl? At best, the book can cover the content from beginning to super programmer of Perl? I would appreciate it very much!

Happy goes around with you forever!

Warmest Regards,
Shuo

John Bokma

Shuo Shi said:
Dear all,

I am very glad to join this news group of Perl subject. So would you
please share some info on URL address to download the free e-books (
pdf format is perfect ) about Perl? At best, the book can cover the
content from beginning to super programmer of Perl? I would appreciate
it very much!

Don't post in HTML, Usenet is plain text.

As for free e-books: what's wrong with the documentation that comes with
your Perl installation? Have you already checked out

perldoc perldoc

(on the command line).

If you use Active(State) Perl and have installed it in the default
location, check out:

file:///C:/Perl/html/index.html

I recommend to bookmark that location in your browser, or if you use
Firefox to even drag that location onto the bookmarks toolbar.

Notice the "Getting Started" in the left column.

If you scroll a bit down in that column, there is a Perl Core
Documentation.

Shuo Shi

Thanks so much for your great help and reply!
I wanna get the e-books which could be free downloaded, pdf format would be perfect, then I can print the stuff out, because I am really not going to read the book over a computer, I am already very nearsighted, my eye will be terrible if I continue staring at the computer's screen for a long time. I would appreciate it very much!

Best Regards, Shuo

John Bokma

Shuo Shi said:
Thanks so much for your great help and reply!

Don't top post
Don't post using HTML, fix the settings of your news client.
I wanna get the e-books which could be free downloaded, pdf format
would be perfect, then I can print the stuff out, because I am really
not going to read the book over a computer, I am already very
nearsighted, my eye will be terrible if I continue staring at the
computer's screen for a long time. I would appreciate it very much!

You can download the "standard" Perl documentation as CHM and print that
(hmmm, site [1] doesn't list them anymore, I can email you it if you want,
email me at contact at johnbokma dot com ).

Check out http://perldoc.perl.org/perl.html

You can download pages as pdf and print them.

Other resource: http://www.techbooksforfree.com/perlpython.shtml [2]

Note that there are also pirated books out there. I recommend not to download
and print those. Several authors of those books are very active in the Perl
community and printing their books is like kicking them in their private
areas. There is plenty of good and even excellent documentation out there
that's freely available.

And if you like to read away from the computer a book is so much nicer to
read from compared to a bunch of print outs. I recommend Learning Perl for
starters, and Intermediate Perl when you enjoyed the former. When buying the
latter you might also want to buy the Perl Cookbook.

[1] http://htmlhelp.berlios.de/books/chm.php
[2] FYI: Had a quick peek at "Learning Perl the Hard Way", and I do not
recommend it.

John Bokma

Shuo Shi said:
John,It is very nice of you! I am moving by your kindness.

And I am, sadly, moved by your ignorance.

Don't top post
Don't reply using HTML
However, I
tried to look through the material from your below link, it is still
not pdf format, and the pdf book which you refer to is not real what I
want,

It's clear that you want a professional book in PDF format. There are a
few free, but I guess that the one you want is a book that you have to pay
for. Like I wrote earlier on, then pay for it, or borrow it. By paying you
indirectly support the Perl community. By downloading it you don't.

If you are not able to find a pdf file other then by begging in a Perl
group I don't have much hope for your programming capabilities.

IMO a part of programming involves ethics. And while I think it's not a
problem to glimpse over a downloaded pirated book once in a while, like I
think (note the I) to listen to downloaded music in a while isn't going to
kill the music industry.

But I also do think that buying a book (or CDs / DVDs) is a good thing.
And if more ebooks become available without weird limiting protection
schemes I am sure to buy those instead of the paper version if the price
is right. People who pirate somehow make publishers willing to do so panic
here and there. While this might not be justified, I mean, pirated books
do happen. And protection is pissing customers off, while pirates already
have the unprotected version in a torrent or two.

Buying books might make this happen:
http://www.apress.com/free/index.html

As for Perl, there is plenty of /good/ and /free/ material out there. The
non-free material is often written by professionals that have been
supporting the Perl community for years. Show some respect, sooner then
you expect it will be paying back.

Uri Guttman

SS> John,It is very nice of you! I am moving by your
SS> kindness. However, I tried to look through the material from your
SS> below link, it is still not pdf format, and the pdf book which you
SS> refer to is not real what I want, my hope is that I could get a
SS> formal pdf book, just like <<Profssional Perl Programming >> which
SS> is from Wrox book concern ...... etc. If you have, would you

go to learn.perl.org and you will find the book beginning perl which is
totally free, good quality and in pdf format. you can also print the
perldocs in almost any format you want. look for pod to pdf conversion
utilities if you must use that. but you can print the perldocs from man
format, plain text, ps or others. so don't keep whining you must have
pdf format if you are just going to print the docs. and the docs are
your best resource for learning perl. there are over 1000 pages of them.
don't print them all, look in the top level doc called just 'perl' and
it lists them all by category.

uri

Shuo Shi

Yes, it is just what I want to read the hard copies of books, so I should
buy the books from bookstore, however, I am in China, I cannot find any good
book about Perl, whatever is from bookstore or online shop. Frankly
speaking, Perl is not very popular and welcomed by programmers in China, all
books in bookstore's shelves are about C++, Java, VB.net etc--- no good
books are available to see. If you don't believe it, you can come to China
to see what happens to Perl here?
So I need your help to get online free book which owns PDF format, and then
print it book.

Regards,
Shuo

Uri Guttman

SS> Yes, it is just what I want to read the hard copies of books, so I
SS> should buy the books from bookstore, however, I am in China, I
SS> cannot find any good book about Perl, whatever is from bookstore
SS> or online shop. Frankly speaking, Perl is not very popular and
SS> welcomed by programmers in China, all books in bookstore's shelves
SS> are about C++, Java, VB.net etc--- no good books are available to
SS> see. If you don't believe it, you can come to China to see what
SS> happens to Perl here? So I need your help to get online free book
SS> which owns PDF format, and then print it book.

are you reading the responses? i told you about a free IN PDF book you
can print. also i told you how to print the perl docs. you don't need
pdf to print them. you have this obession about pdf which makes no sense
as you can print from many formats.

uri

John Bokma

Shuo Shi said:
Yes, it is

Another top post. Please google for top post and learn why it's not a good
way to reply.
just what I want to read the hard copies of books, so I
should buy the books from bookstore, however, I am in China, I cannot
find any good book about Perl,

I have given you several tips on *free* documentation you can read. You're
having a non-problem.
whatever is from bookstore or online
shop. Frankly speaking, Perl is not very popular and welcomed by
programmers in China, all books in bookstore's shelves are about C++,
Java, VB.net etc--- no good books are available to see. If you don't
believe it, you can come to China to see what happens to Perl here?

I live in Mexico, and can't hardly read Spanish, so I understand that part
of the story. I solved it by doing some Perl work in exchange for book(s)
for people with a very small budget, TANSTAAFL, and it makes me happy. I
got Higher Order Perl that way (which you can also download for free by
the way).
So I need your help to get online free book which owns PDF format, and
then print it book.

Like others said, the format doesn't matter, PDF, CHM, plain text.
Perl comes with excellent documentation, you can download PDF versions
from: http://perldoc.perl.org/perl.html Just pick what you want to learn.

Or you can keep asking for a certain book from Wrox press. But I doubt
anyone here is going to send it to you by email. In my opinion if you want
to become a programmer you must be able to solve such a task yourself, or
stand above it, and go with the standard documentation. I have read a few
of those documents myself, and while they are together not an easy to read
book (several authors, etc), the info is there, and more.

Shuo Shi

I just wanna make the format of my message as "Times New Roman", not the
default format of Plain Text file.

Shuo Shi

I can find this book, but it is not really free downloaded. You see the
below content shown in learn.perl.org web page
=====================================================================================================
Beginning Perl
by Simon Cozens, Peter Wainwright. 700 pages. Wrox Press, Inc.. (May 25,
2000).
Beginning Perl is a different kind of Perl book. It's written particularly
with the beginning programmer in mind, but it doesn't treat you like an
idiot, and experienced programmers will not feel patronised. It covers a lot
of ground, from the very basics of programming, right through to developing
CGI applications for the web. More importantly, it emphasises good Perl
practice, and readable and maintainable code.
Buy from: Amazon - Powells - Amazon UK - Bookpool

====================================================================================================

Mumia W. (on aioe)

I can find this book, but it is not really free downloaded. You see the
below content shown in learn.perl.org web page
=====================================================================================================
Beginning Perl
by Simon Cozens, Peter Wainwright. 700 pages. Wrox Press, Inc.. (May 25,
2000).
Beginning Perl is a different kind of Perl book. [...]

I'm amazed by the latitude you're getting in this newsgroup Shuo Shi.
You're still getting expert advice despite the facts that you ignore
half of it, and you *always* top-post.

http://www.perl.org/books/beginning-perl/
http://perldoc.perl.org/

If you are unable to find free PDF files at those sites, I'm going to be
amazed again. :)

Shuo Shi, it's in your best interest to read and follow the posting
guidelines for this newsgroup:
http://www.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc/clpmisc_guidelines.html

It's in your best interest to stop top-posting:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/documents/quotingguide.html

Uri Guttman

SS> I just wanna make the format of my message as "Times New Roman", not the
SS> default format of Plain Text file.

STOP TOP POSTING.

and usenet is a PLAIN TEXT only medium. no one cares about your
formatting requests. html IS NOT ACCEPTED.

THE BOOK I TOLD YOU IS FREE. it SAYS that on the page. the author has
MADE IT FREE FOR YEARS. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

you have exhausted my patience. you seem to understand english well
enough but you are not listening.

uri

Tad McClellan

Shuo Shi said:
I just wanna make the format of my message as "Times New Roman", not the
default format of Plain Text file.

Please stop wanting that.

_You_ want Times New Roman, not us.

Good luck convincing everybody to switch to Your Way.

An author does not write for himself but for his audience.

And putting a full-quote below the .sig separator is beyond the pale.

Please go away.

*plonk*

John Bokma

Tad McClellan said:
An author does not write for himself but for his audience.

I doubt if this is the case in general. I am sure there are plenty of
authors who write for themselves and don't care about his/her audience.

And then there are authors who write for the money.
Please go away.

*plonk*

Yup, my arm got tired as well from swinging the clue bat. And I did use an
aluminum one. Maybe a solid wood version would have been better?

Shuo Shi

I am not sure whether your patience has been exhausted, I am amazed about
it, I was trying to keep myself as a gentleman, all words of mine are nice.
And I only tried to choose the HTML formate to edit my news message for one
time! Since you and others suggested me to use PLAIN TEXT, then I accept it,
am not sure whether you are consistently saying my message as HTML! It is
NOT TRUE!
I love most of people in this news group since most of them are nice. I
believe you are also a nice person, I wanna keep the harmony here, so really
don't know you are getting BAD TEMPER !!! So CALM DOWN! You have grown up!!!

Uri Guttman

SS> I am not sure whether your patience has been exhausted, I am
SS> amazed about it, I was trying to keep myself as a gentleman, all
SS> words of mine are nice. And I only tried to choose the HTML
SS> formate to edit my news message for one time! Since you and others
SS> suggested me to use PLAIN TEXT, then I accept it, am not sure
SS> whether you are consistently saying my message as HTML! It is NOT
SS> TRUE! I love most of people in this news group since most of them
SS> are nice. I believe you are also a nice person, I wanna keep the
SS> harmony here, so really don't know you are getting BAD TEMPER !!!
SS> So CALM DOWN! You have grown up!!!

is ignoring that being nice?

is ignoring that and saying it isn't free, being nice?

is harping on needing pdf to print when you are told repeatedly that it
isn't needed being nice?

you are the one not being nice since you ask for help and then don't
listen to the answers.

i was calm when i wrote that and i am calm now. i was trying to get your
attention. but as usual you don't seem to want to listen. have you even
tried to understand what top posting is? do you have eyes and notice
that my comments are BELOW (yes, i am shouting but calmly) yours? and i
edited your post?

uri

Shuo Shi

--
Uri Guttman ------ (e-mail address removed) --------
http://www.stemsystems.com

Excuse me, I didn't follow the meaning of STOP TOP POSTING! Just got it.
Please calme down! I have got what I want thru your help. Why you said I
didn't listen to the answers, I really did! Only quite understand your
explaination! And I just repeatedly told that PDF would be perfect, if it is
not but could be printed out, it is OK for me.
So please try to understand the concern of asker from the asker point of
view.

Tad McClellan

[ bone-headed top-posting repaired ]

I am not sure whether your patience has been exhausted, I am amazed about
it,

top-posting on Usenet is like farting at the dinner table.

When you farted at our dinner table, we asked you to not do that.

Then you farted at the dinner table again, and were asked again
to not do that.

Then you farted at the dinner table a half-dozen more times!

Patience is very likely to wear out once everybody's eyes are watering.

I was trying to keep myself as a gentleman,
^^^^^^

Then you have failed.

A gentleman respects the wishes of others.

You have shown a remarkable persistence in ignoring the wishes of others.

all words of mine are nice.

Our primary objections are about your *actions* rather than your words.

Talking nicely while farting at the dinner table does not make
farting at the dinner table an acceptable action.

I wanna keep the harmony here,

Then do not fart at the dinner table.

This is not a hard concept to grasp.

so really
don't know you are getting BAD TEMPER !!!

Because you continue to fart at the dinner table after being asked
more than once to not fart at the dinner table.