Perl Par built exe, sometimes it runs, sometimes it doesn't

Jesse Schoch

I have a client that i wrote and built into a .exe with pp. I have
tested it on Win2k, WinXP, Win98, WinME, but for some reason on WinNT
4.0 SP3 and SP6a it sometimes runs, and sometimes does not.

The perl58.dll I uses is from the tiny perl distribution, I have tried
the active state dll with no change in behavior, it doesn't even throw
an error when it decides not to run, it takes about 3 tries, and then
it will run fine, no problem, but if i re-run it will crap out with no
error whatsoever.

Any Ideas on how I might troubleshoot this?

Any possible fixes?

-greenail

Sisyphus

Jesse said:
I have a client that i wrote and built into a .exe with pp. I have
tested it on Win2k, WinXP, Win98, WinME, but for some reason on WinNT
4.0 SP3 and SP6a it sometimes runs, and sometimes does not.

The perl58.dll I uses is from the tiny perl distribution, I have tried
the active state dll with no change in behavior, it doesn't even throw
an error when it decides not to run, it takes about 3 tries, and then
it will run fine, no problem, but if i re-run it will crap out with no
error whatsoever.

Any Ideas on how I might troubleshoot this?

I assume the script was compiled with warnings enabled ?

Try inserting some print statements at various (relevant) points in the
script.

My guess is that the exe runs, but is sometimes hanging at some point.
Once you've identified that "point" (courtesy of the print statements)
you might be able to sort it out.

(Not very sophisticated :)

Cheers,
Rob

Jesse Schoch

problem was solved by replacing the perl dll (i was using the tinyperl
dll locally) and compiling with the -d switch to pp. -d helped my
disk usage for my app and utilities considerably. hope this helps
someone.

by the way, there was no error, or print messages shown whatso ever,
perhaps tinyperl isn't tested so well on windows nt 4.

-greenail