perlXStut

Ketema

I am attempting to go through the perlXStut and I can't complete the
make process. My system is WinXP. I have Visual Studio.Net 2003
installed, so I am using nmake, as also confirmed by perl -V:make. My
perl is Activestate v5.8.4.
My perl -V:libc is msvcrt.lib.

After having a buch of files missing I finally figured out to add
"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Vc7\bin","c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Vc7\include" and "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Vc7\lib" in my perl inc path. The files I am trying to create is
right out of perlXStut: Mytest. The error I am getting is:

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.10.3077

link -out:blib\arch\auto\Mytest\Mytest.dll -dll -nologo
-nodefaultlib -d
ebug -opt:ref,icf -libpath:"C:\Perl\lib\CORE" -machine:x86
Mytest.obj C:\Per
l\lib\CORE\perl58.lib oldnames.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib
winspool.li
b comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib
netapi32.lib uu
id.lib wsock32.lib mpr.lib winmm.lib version.lib odbc32.lib
odbccp32.lib msvcrt
..lib -def:Mytest.def
Creating library blib\arch\auto\Mytest\Mytest.lib and object
blib\arch\auto\M
ytest\Mytest.exp
LINK : fatal error LNK2023: bad dll or entry point 'msobj71.dll'
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0x7e7'
Stop.

What can I do to solve this, or is there another way to create to
object file?(which is what my intepretation of the failure is"

Thanks
Ketema

Sisyphus

Ketema said:
I am attempting to go through the perlXStut and I can't complete the
make process. My system is WinXP. I have Visual Studio.Net 2003
installed, so I am using nmake, as also confirmed by perl -V:make. My
perl is Activestate v5.8.4.
My perl -V:libc is msvcrt.lib.

After having a buch of files missing I finally figured out to add
"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Vc7\bin","c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Vc7\include" and "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Vc7\lib" in my perl inc path. The files I am trying to create is
right out of perlXStut: Mytest. The error I am getting is:

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.10.3077

If you want to use Visual Studio .NET as your compiler you should build
your perl with that compiler. ActiveState perl was built with Visual
Studio 6 and that will lead to problems when you try to use Visual
Studio .NET with it (as you have just found out). You could download the
source to AS build 810 (perl 5.8.4) from the ActiveState site and build
with Visual Studio .NET. It's not difficult. Or you would probably find
that the latest source from CPAN (perl 5.8.5) also builds easily with
Visual Studio .NET.

Alternatively, if you want to stick with ActiveState-built perl, then
you should use Visual Studio 6 (MSVC++ 6.0) as your compiler.

There are possibly workarounds that enable you to use Visual Studio .NET
with ActiveState-built perl, but I don't know what they are (and have
little interest in learning of them :)

Cheers,
Rob