permissions problem when running Ruby

Bev Bev

I am having a permissions problem which no one else on the developement
team is having and no one knows how to fix it. I had talked with the IT
department and they checked a couple of things and said it was not a
standard Windows NTFS permissions error and they felt that it was an
application permission issue.

I am new to Ruby, so I do not know much.

I have a dirctory c:\Workspaces\Watir Testing\bin which has the script
login.rb. I have another directory c:\Workspaces\Watir
Testing\test_scripts which has the script CustomerSetup1.rb.

The CustomerSetup1.rb script is the one I need to run to run the test
and it calls the login.rb script.

When I go to the directory c:\Workspaces\Watir Testing\test_scripts and
type "c:\Ruby\bin\ruby -l ..\bin CustomerSetup1.rb", I get the following
message "c:\Ruby\bin\ruby: Permission denied -- ../bin (LoadError)".

I don't understand why I don't have permissions to access a directory on
my PC.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Bev

Caleb Clausen

I am having a permissions problem which no one else on the developement
team is having and no one knows how to fix it. I had talked with the IT
department and they checked a couple of things and said it was not a
standard Windows NTFS permissions error and they felt that it was an
application permission issue.

I am new to Ruby, so I do not know much.

I have a dirctory c:\Workspaces\Watir Testing\bin which has the script
login.rb. I have another directory c:\Workspaces\Watir
Testing\test_scripts which has the script CustomerSetup1.rb.

This is just a shot in the dark, but could it be because you have a
space in your directory names? That can cause problems for all kinds
of things on windows. Try taking the space out and see if it makes any
difference.

Michael W Ryder

Bev said:
[...]

If you are using Vista or newer you might want to turn UAC off to see if
that fixes the problem. I had problems with UAC not allowing a program
to make changes to files and finally just turned it off rather than try
to figure out exactly what it needed.

Bev Bev

Caleb said:
This is just a shot in the dark, but could it be because you have a
space in your directory names? That can cause problems for all kinds
of things on windows. Try taking the space out and see if it makes any
difference.

I tried removing the space and that didn't help.

Bev Bev

Michael said:
If you are using Vista or newer you might want to turn UAC off to see if
that fixes the problem. I had problems with UAC not allowing a program
to make changes to files and finally just turned it off rather than try
to figure out exactly what it needed.

I am running Windows XP Professional.