persistent popup window

kjk

Hi Folks,

Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
the popup window persistently float above all other windows?

'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

Bernhard Sturm

kjk said:
Hi Folks,

Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
the popup window persistently float above all other windows?
why would you want to interfere your website with the client
OS-behaviour? What do you do if I am running lynx on my debian-box in
console mode?
How do you treat the fact, that I use pop-up-blockers on all my UAs?
Just don't try to do such things. Your audience has its reasons why they
don't like pop-ups.

cheers
bernhard

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:13:22 GMT
kjk scribed:
Hi Folks,

Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
the popup window persistently float above all other windows?

'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>

There used to be some kind of always-on-top option for javascript windows
but I believe it has been superceded by common sense.

Incidentally, MS seems to have a similar basic misconception. If _I_ can't
get _my_ browser to work the way _I_ want it to, I just won't use it. At
the moment, Firefox is the best browser "out there", Opera is second, IE6
is probably third, and IE7 fourth. Yes, this will undoubtedly cause
comment, but it's nonetheless true. All of them have more bugs than they
should have, but I would consider the attitude at mozilla.com regarding the
issue to be the best.

kjk

So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

Ken

-----------------------

Jonathan N. Little

kjk said:
So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

Please don't top post. You have essentially received the answer, but
maybe the explanations have been too obtuse. The answer, your really
cannot do it. It was recognized as a security issue back in Netscape 4.x
and the property "alwaysRaised" required a signed script. Popup windows
in general are a bad idea and modern browsers give the user ultimate
control to prevent them. My advice is to rethink your design.

Bergamot

kjk said:
I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

FYI, this isn't a help desk, so we are under no obligation to give you
the answer you seek. This is a discussion group, so we discuss things
such as the merits of your query (or lack thereof).

Pop-up windows are generally evil things. We'd rather tell you you're
likely hurting yourself by doing whatever it is you want to do, instead
of giving you instruction on how to shoot yourself in the foot.

Most of us have learned how to disable pop-ups altogether. It does make
the web a nicer place. ;)

And please don't top post.
http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html

Blinky the Shark

kjk said:
So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

I'd say you missed the category "know, criticise". Well, not exactly
"missed", rather "don't want to hear".

cwdjrxyz

Hi Folks,

Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
the popup window persistently float above all other windows?

'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

As others have stated, this sort of thing is not as popular now as it
once was. However, if you can turn the window on and off, and those
who have script turned off can still buy your widgets(or see your
important information) without the window, then this becomes a matter
of taste and style. You might go to http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ and
look at the Script Categories list and select Window and Frames. There
are several listed, and usually there is a demo for each one and what
browsers they work on is specified. Most of these scripts have been
brought up to date and work on recent IE, Firefox and often Opera.
Support for Netscape 4's layers has been removed from most, since this
browser seldom is used anymore, and including layers code greatly
complicates the script. In most cases this type of script is designed
just not to show an effect and otherwise work normally if the browser
does not support it, script is turned off, etc. Even so, it is a good
idea to test by turning script off on your browser to be certain
everything works properly other than the window is gone.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Jonathan N. Little:
Please don't top post.

Why not? As long as "kjk" wishes to remain completely clueless, top posting
is a useful indicator of this situation.

Travis Newbury

There used to be some kind of always-on-top option for javascript windows
but I believe it has been superceded by common sense.

No doubt...
At
the moment, Firefox is the best browser "out there", Opera is second, IE6
is probably third, and IE7 fourth. Yes, this will undoubtedly cause
comment, but it's nonetheless true.

I agree with your list from a technical standpoint. Maybe even a usage
standpoint after someone tries them all, but I would have to put some
version of IE first and FF second in a reality list.
All of them have more bugs than they
should have, but I would consider the attitude at mozilla.com regarding the
issue to be the best.

I completely agree. FF is (can be) more than just a browser with all
of its plugins. As a development tool it is great

Travis Newbury

So far here, it seems that those who know, explain, and those who
don't, criticise. I can understand the reasons for the criticisms,
but I still haven't received a useable answer to my query.

Aw for the love of pete why did you have to go and say that? Now you
are going to be told this is not your personal help desk, that all of
the answers were valid answer to your question, and that it is a dumb
thing to do, and this is a discussion and if you get your question
answered (with an answer that is acceptable to you) then you are
lucky.

Now, here is my answer; I don't know if there is code to do this
because I accept the idea that I probably shouldn't (But there is
always google if I change my mind)

Jonathan N. Little

Jukka said:
Scripsit Jonathan N. Little:

Why not? As long as "kjk" wishes to remain completely clueless, top
posting is a useful indicator of this situation.

Ever the optimist I try to give folks the opportunity to "get a clue".
Of course every now and then we get a real dunderhead, but usually the
Germans take care of them and they retreat to Sweden...

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:52:01
GMT Travis Newbury scribed:
I agree with your list from a technical standpoint. Maybe even a usage
standpoint after someone tries them all, but I would have to put some
version of IE first and FF second in a reality list.

Not to be argumentative, but I really hate ie7. Sure, some of the styling
issues are fixed and maybe the security is a bit improved, but I think it
lost more than it gained. Where's the native ftp (which is largely why I
use ie6 in the first place), the brisk, snappy response time, and why can't
you customize the moronically-laid-out toolbar? If I died and could only
take 2 browsers with me to geek-purgatory, they'd be Firefox and ie6.
(Opera has some innovative features and some suprisingly perfected styling
features but it just has too many bugs in operation to make me a happy
camper.)
I completely agree. FF is (can be) more than just a browser with all
of its plugins. As a development tool it is great

Yep. Just wish they'd hurry up and fix a few more things including but not
limited to inline-block.

kjk

Hi Folks,

Can anybody tell me how to modify the following code in order to make
the popup window persistently float above all other windows?

'jukebox', 'toolbar=0, location=0, directories=0, status=0, menubar=0,
scrollbars=0, resizable=0, copyhistory=0, left=10, top=10, screenX=0,
screenY=0, width=300, height=120')">Memories and Messages</a>

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

Finally, some real answers. Thank you Jonathan and cwdjrxyz, and for
the benefit of both of you, I will try to remember not to top post.
There was a time, back in the dinosaur days, when a technical question
on usenet would immediately receive dozens of purely technical
answers. Today, it seems, usenet has gradually moved closer to being
a kiddie chat site.

It is possible that I didn't state my question technically accurately.
The purpose of the above code is as follows:

I maintain a simple family website which includes some audio files of
family musicians, some quite talented. With very limited HTML skills,
I'm trying to put together a music player that will allow family
members to listen to those files while browsing the site, to select
the next audio file that they'd like to hear, using a window that
remains accessible at all times, while not interfering with the page
that they're viewing, while also not allowing them to capture the
audio file, some of which may be commercially viable. It's possible
that this particular use of a persistent window may even be acceptable
to the folks at alt.html.

The above code is the beginning of that process. I have no idea
whether this is technically possible, but I do know that in my early
computer days I learned a whole lot from usenet, so I thought that I'd
ask what I perceived to be an innocent question.

If anybody here can provide any additional helpful technical info, I'd
sure like to hear it. Thanks.

Ken

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

kjk said:
..I'm trying to put together a music player that will allow family
members to listen to those files while browsing the site, to select
the next audio file that they'd like to hear, using a window that
remains accessible at all times,

Why not give them an instruction/advice to "right-click this link and
choose 'Open in new window' so you can listen to the music while you
browse the rest of the site" ?

Most people should be smart enough to understand that, I think. Mebbe.

kjk

Why not give them an instruction/advice to "right-click this link and
choose 'Open in new window' so you can listen to the music while you
browse the rest of the site" ?

Most people should be smart enough to understand that, I think. Mebbe.

----------------------

You're right, there are many different ways that it can be done. I've
found, however, that the way I learn the most about how to get
something to work is by insistently trying to make it work EXACTLY the
way I'd like it to work. Thanks.

Ken

Ed Mullen

kjk said:
[...]

I have a variety of .mp3 files on my site. If someone wants to listen
to them while browsing other pages (or other sites) they just open the
music page in a new tab, click the songs, and browse elsewhere in
another tab. Or, just download all the .mp3 files to their own hard
drive and setup their own play list in their favorite music player.

I think you're probably trying to make the solution far more complex
than it needs to be. But, hey, if you're having fun ...! ;-)

mr rudeforth

kjk said:
----------------------

You're right, there are many different ways that it can be done. I've
found, however, that the way I learn the most about how to get
something to work is by insistently trying to make it work EXACTLY the
way I'd like it to work. Thanks.
just link to a m3u file (this contains full url of audio file) that points
to the audio file and then plays music in users audio player. or soemthing
like that.

kjk

I have a variety of .mp3 files on my site. If someone wants to listen
to them while browsing other pages (or other sites) they just open the
music page in a new tab, click the songs, and browse elsewhere in
another tab. Or, just download all the .mp3 files to their own hard
drive and setup their own play list in their favorite music player.

I think you're probably trying to make the solution far more complex
than it needs to be. But, hey, if you're having fun ...! ;-)

------------------------------

Security is not about fun. Some of our audio files may be
commercially viable, and I'm trying to do whatever I can to protect
the artist from unauthorized commercial use. I understand that, with
some technical knowledge, nothing is completely foolproof, but I want
to make it as difficult as possible for the MP3 file to be captured to
a casual listeners computer. The website is password protected, the
javascript points to an HTM file, the HTM file points to an M3U file,
the M3U file points to the MP3 file, so the average computer user
would have some difficulty trying to locate and get at the MP3 file.
If the MP3 file is playing in the listeners audio player, it's a
simple process to Save As.

If anybody here can suggest a more secure way to do it, I'd sure like
to hear about it. Thanks.

Ken