php5 or asp.net

Jeff

Hey

I'm about to start developing a website. My problem is that I'm not sure if
I should go for php or asp.net. I would prefer asp.net but all I got is the
Visual studio 2003 c# standard, (it's not the full version of visual studio,
it contains c# and asp.net)... I fear that if I set a lot of effort into
using asp.net I will in the end discover more bugs in my visual studio....

I see there are something called visual web developer express which can be
downloaded. I guess it has some limitaion so asp.net pages generated from it
can not be used in a production environment, am I right?

I purchased visual studio 2003 standard about 2 years ago, i bought the
standard version because it was only c# and asp.net I was interested in.

I do not subscribe to MSDN so I don't get the latest bugfixes in the visual
studio.

asp.net has some cool features such as adrotator, I guess something similar
could be done in php5 too, but I don't like to use so much 3.party
tools.....

I have the development environment for both asp.net and php5 set up on my
computer.

What do you recommend (php or asp.net)??

Jeff

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Jeff,

Visual Web Developer Express is free and can be used commercially to create
as many ASP.NET 2.0 Web sites as you want in C# or VB.

I highly recommend it.

Just download your copy here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/

BTW, don't be surprised that people favour ASP.NET here. <grin>

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Bipin_Expert

Hi Jeff,
I have been developing applications in PHP as well as ASP 3.0
previously. But since ASP.Net have been introduced it's much easier and
faster to develop web-applications and services as compared to any
other available options. As the power of .Net framework which was not
there in ASP, PHP was performing better than it. So in that case I use
to prefer PHP. But since ASP.Net my opinion is also that you should use
ASP.NET

Regards,
Bipin Kesharwani
(Developer)