Programming with VSC

Joined
May 29, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
hello, I am a newb to programming. I am trying to set up modules in visual studio.
I am working to make an AI assistant and I just set up my environment with pyenv.
the first module i tried to get was SpeechRecognition and is gave me the following warning

WARNING: The script normalizer is installed in '/home/jared/.local/bin' which is not on PATH.
Consider adding this directory to PATH or, if you prefer to suppress this warning, use --no-warn-script-location.

This led me to search out the python file and copy it over to the VSC folder i was working in. I dont understand since i am in the pyenv folder on the sytem.

any help will be appreciated. Thank you
Screenshot from 2023-05-28 18-24-34.png

Joined
Mar 31, 2023
Messages
95
Reaction score
8
I can help you with the warning message you encountered.

The warning message you received indicates that the "normalizer" script, which is part of the SpeechRecognition module, is installed in a directory that is not in your system's PATH environment variable. The PATH variable is a list of directories that your operating system searches when you try to run a command or script.

To resolve this issue, you have a few options:

  1. Add the directory to your PATH: You can add the directory /home/jared/.local/bin to your system's PATH variable. The exact steps to do this depend on your operating system. By adding the directory to the PATH, your system will be able to find and execute the "normalizer" script without any warnings. Note that this is an advanced option and may require administrative privileges.
  2. Use the --no-warn-script-location flag: As mentioned in the warning message, you can use the --no-warn-script-location flag when installing the SpeechRecognition module. This flag will suppress the warning about the script location. You can install the module using the following command:
    perlCopy code
    pip install --no-warn-script-location SpeechRecognition
  3. Use a virtual environment: Since you mentioned that you're using pyenv, it's a good practice to create a virtual environment for your project. Virtual environments provide isolated Python environments for your projects, allowing you to install packages without affecting the system Python installation. To create a virtual environment, you can use the following command:
    phpCopy code
    pyenv virtualenv <python_version> <environment_name>
    Replace <python_version> with the desired Python version (e.g., 3.9.2) and <environment_name> with a name for your virtual environment. Then, activate the virtual environment and install the SpeechRecognition module within it.
Using a virtual environment is generally recommended as it helps manage dependencies and avoids conflicts between different projects.

I hope this helps!