picking up value in code behind

Scott Collens

Hi there, does anyone know if it is possible to set a value in a user
control and pick it up in the code behind.

I'm trying to reuse the same user control and code behind for multiple
pages but I don't want to use a querystring param. Thanks for
listening...Scott

Carl Prothman [MVP]

Scott Collens said:
Hi there, does anyone know if it is possible to set a value in a user
control and pick it up in the code behind.

Scott,
Create a public Property for the User Control. Then in the WebForm's code-behind,
call the User Control's Property to get the value.

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman

Carl Prothman [MVP]

Scott Collens said:
Thanks for the response, but I'm a little confused as to how this is picked
up in the code behind. Can you provide an example? Thanks again....Scott

Scott,
In the User Control, create a public property

public string Username
{
get
{
return TextBox1.Text;
}
set
{
TextBox1.Text = value;

Then in the code behind of the WebForm (which contains the User Control)
create a protected member variable for the User Control. In this case,
the C# project is called "myProject" and the User Control is called
"UserControlPropertyDemo"

protected myProject.UserControlPropertyDemo UserControlPropertyDemo1;

Then in some event handler, get or set the User Control's public property value

// Set the property value
UserControlPropertyDemo1.Username = "CarlProthman";

// Get the property value
string username = UserControlPropertyDemo1.Username;

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman
Microsoft ASP.NET MVP